Saturday, April 12, 2008

A Dinosaur book for the older kiddos

So, every once in awhile I come across a book that a lot of people have really liked, but I personally just do not. I may not get where those people are coming from, I may just not like the plot, but for whatever reason, I just don’t like the book. However, just because I don’t like something, doesn’t mean that I can’t think of a hundred other people that will love the story, hence the reason I still write a review! For me, TIM: Defender of the Earth, written by Sam Enthoven, is one of those books. I didn’t really care for it, didn’t really get it, but I can see boys by the dozens lining up to get their hands on a copy of this book. Who cares if Miss Amanda "gets" it, they still want to read it!

When Chris is on a class trip to the museum, something weird happens. One of the museum curators opens a case, that happens to be glowing, and snaps a strange bracelet on Chris’s wrist, a bracelet he has been “chosen” to wear and which he cannot remove. He tries to figure out exactly what he has been chosen for and ends up working with a girl, quite reluctantly at first, to solve this new mystery.

Meanwhile, underneath the streets of London, TIM, a caged up Tyrannosaurus Rex has lived his life as a military experiment that has gone very wrong. Treated as a brutal animal, TIM couldn’t possibly be more caring and kind, that eventually forms a friendship with Chris and Anna. The three are thrown into a chaotic world where TIM is all that stands between life and total world destruction. Together, the trio must overcome the evil Professor Mallahide in order to save Britain from devastation.

Yes, this book is about a giant dinosaur saving the Earth. For many of you, that is reason alone to not get it (I’m definitely in that group), but can’t you just see boys loving this book?! A T-Rex working to save the world! There is a huge amount of thrills and action, which even held my attention, and though the plot is a little…um…weird to me, I know guys will love this. Ten and up is probably a good recommendation for age levels.

No comments: