Monday, April 7, 2008

Drive by Nathan Clement

After reading Drive by Nathan Clement, I already have two little boys in mind that I would love to give this book as a gift to! Not only is the story charming and filled with a boy’s love for his father, but the illustrations, also done by Clement, are incredibly striking and larger than life.

Very simple in thought, this book packs a huge punch in meaning. A little boy lovingly tells the story of a day in his dad’s life, starting with waking up and ending with coming home again. The boy’s dad is a trucker, driving a big rig from place to place and a very busy man, but always remembering to say hello to people on the way. The boy explains how his dad is gone before he wakes up, but once he is home; there is time for fun together.

I love the idea of focusing the story on one thing and never straying from that, making this book excellent for beginner readers and those that often have a hard time with comprehension. Again, I cannot say enough how amazing the illustrations are and how boldly they standout against the black words of text. I loved this book and know some little boys that will really enjoy it as well.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Amanda,

This is Nathan Clement. My publisher sent me your review. I wanted to thank you for it. It's great for me to see that readers are getting exactly what I intended in this book.