Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Twisted

This is one of those books that I just could not seem to get my hands on until just now. Raves reviews from bloggers just kept teasing me, but only now did my library finally get their own copy on the shelves. Guess it helps that I'm the librarian, I get it first!

Twisted, by the infamous young adult author, Laurie Halse Anderson, is an extremely well-written coming of age story about a guy named Tyler. Tyler has always been considered a geek at school, his family life is a mess, and he just had to spend his summer doing court ordered community service after committing vandalism against his school. Lovely way to start out the new year! However, Tyler was able to gain a new body while participating in the required manual labor and actually attracts the attention of the hottest and most popular girl in school, leaving him flabbergasted and more than a bit on edge, as Bethany just happens to be Tyler's main tormentor's sister. After a tragic incident at a house party, Tyler's life quickly spins out of control, screwing up his home life even more than it already was, and leaving him feeling completely alone at school.

As Tyler's daily life seems to get more and more difficult, he vows to change things, slowly trying to determine just how to fix what went wrong. Not all the solutions Tyler is able to come up with are pleasant and I was constantly on the edge of my seat, wanting to know just what Tyler was going to do or contemplate next. I felt horrible for this character, knowing very much that high school and teens do things like this to each other every day. Though Tyler is ultimately responsible for his actions, he is, however, not responsible for many of the issues he ends up experiencing, a very heartbreaking realization.

Twisted is a great read for teens (and adults of course), the characters and situations being very real and accurate. It has been placed on the list of YALSA Teens Top Ten nominees, so if you have teens at your library or at home that would enjoy this, have them read it and vote in October. It's a great way to support the author, the book, and YALSA!

I completed this book for the Young Adult Challenge. Wahoo! Another one down!

4 comments:

April said...

This sounds like a great read! I am adding to my TBR list right now! lol Great review!

Erin said...

I found 'Twisted" at my library. Can't wait to get it!

Charlotte said...

Yeah, I felt horrible for him too. It made it hard to keep reading...

Zee said...

Hey Amanda, just a tip, Twisted is one of the 2008 YALSA Teens' Top 10 nominees. To find out more about the Teens' Top 10, visit www.ala.org/teenstopten