Friday, May 23, 2008

Baby Jacob Update

It's been a week since baby Jacob Aaron was born and what a week it has been! For the weekend and the beginning of this week, he did fantastic. They took him off his ventilator and only had him on nasal prongs, pretty amazing for a 27 weeker. He started taking feedings really well and just seemed determined to get big and strong really quickly. Unfortunately, Wednesday and Thursday, things went downhill a bit. He stopped taking feedings, started having episodes where his heart rate would dramatically drop, his right lung decided it wanted to deflate a bit, resulting in him being put back on the oscillator (a bit more intense than a regular ventilator), plus he has to have a PICC line catheter put into him for his nutrition, which after 4 attempts at, the doctors haven't been able to get in. Now they have to cut open Jacob's arm and vein in order to snake the catheter in. It's all been quite traumatic, stressful, emotional, and every other bad word in the book.



Aaron and I are hanging in there, just as our little guy is. We've been placed in the local Ronald McDonald house for the duration of Jacob's stay, which is fantastic and hard at the same time. We aren't at home, with our friends, dog, and normal life,but rather living out of suitcases three hours away, while our baby boy fights to get bigger. Please keep us all in your thoughts and prayers, we definitely need it right now.



As we have established somewhat of a routine, I should be getting back into posting reviews this weekend or early next week. I have lots of publishers waiting for book reviews of their titles, not to mention readers that want A Patchwork of Books back to normal. Believe me, I do too! I'll still post periodic baby updates, as you've all seemed to show an interest in how Jacob is doing. I'm also including a few more pictures for you all to see. Thanks again for all your support!

13 comments:

Jen Robinson said...

Definitely keep us posted on how Jacob is doing, Amanda. We are all pulling for him, and for you and Aaron. I can't even imagine how hard it must be. But I hope that getting into a routine, and getting some blogging done, is comforting for you. I wouldn't worry too much about the needs of the publishers, under the current circumstances.

Sending good thoughts...

Joy said...

Thoughts and prayers will definitely continue, Amanda. Aaron is precious.

Marg said...

I agree with Jen. If blogging helps you feel better about what is going on then do it, but if not then it is perfectly understandable that you have other priorities right now.

Your boy sounds like a brave little fighter. I hope everything goes well for you.

Grateful Gramma said...

Thanks for the update. I've said another prayer for beautiful Jacob and for your family, Amanda.

Kerry said...

I just wanted to offer you my congratulations and best wishes for little Jacob. I'm the mother of a 27 weeker who is now a rambunctious four year old and I well remember the days in NICU. I wish you as wonderful and healthy a future for your premmie as we've had with ours. I'll be adding you to my feed reader to stay in touch with how you and Jacob are doing.

Susan said...

Unfortunately, what they say about preemies is true - it's often "one step forward, two steps back." Jacob sounds like a tough cookie - I'm praying that he'll grow big and strong :) Hang in there.

Book Splurge said...

Your family is in my prayers.

Erikka said...

I'm an English major, not a mathematician, so just to check, is he 7 months, so two early?

I will keep you in my thoughts and pray for his slow but steady growth and strength to increase.

Charlotte said...

I second the previous comments--I have been thinking about you and Jacob lots...

Amanda said...

Thanks everyone!

Erikka, he is actually 3 months early. Due August 10, came May 14th. He was only 27 weeks at birth, so 13 weeks premature. Too soon, but we were certainly glad to get to meet him! :-)

Christina said...

I know how hard this is for you, sweetie, just hang in there and be as strong as you can for little Jacob and he'll be strong for his Mommy! I'll be praying for you and your family!

Christina said...

Have you found the March of Dimes Share community yet? It's a wonderful place for sharing your NICU experiences, talking with other mothers, finding answers to your questions, all sorts of info.

http://www.shareyourstory.org

Good luck to you and baby Jacob!z

Kelley said...

The beauty of an online community - people all over the world sharing your worry, anxiety and joy. We who read you eagerly every day/week are with you virtually and energetically. Take heart - you have a ton of us sending good thoughts and prayers your way!