Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Baby Update: Bed Rest for Me....

Last Thursday we had what we thought would be a normal appointment with our high risk doctor, that unfortunately turned into a two day hospital stay and now strict bed rest. Apparently, my hyper-tension is now affecting the baby, in the way of low blood circulation between myself and him. From last month, he actually got skinnier, rather than chunkier, as he should have, meaning that he just isn't growing the way he should. I stayed in the hospital for constant blood pressure monitoring, as well as fetal heart monitoring, where we realized that though the baby is not growing well, he is definitely a mini-soccer player and has a great heart rate!

For now, I am on strict bed rest until delivery, with twice-weekly doctor's appointments and once weekly ultrasounds to track the baby's growth. Already, with bed rest, my blood pressure has gone down significantly, so we're praying that's all it takes to make our little man get bigger. If he doesn't show growth, we have to be transferred to a bigger hospital in Albuquerque, 4 hours away, until they decide to deliver the baby. Worst case scenario is that he just won't grow in utero and I will be forced to deliver him very early. We are just barely at 26 weeks, my due date is not until August, meaning it is way too early for Baby Snow to be here! Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Bed rest is not much fun, but I'll do whatever it take to keep that little man inside for as long as possible!

Lots of reading and blogging for me, so look for 2 reviews daily!

13 comments:

3M said...

Oh, Amanda, my prayers are with you and the baby. Keep us updated!
Michelle
http://1morechapter.com

Jen Robinson said...

Oh, Amanda, I'm sending you and the baby good thoughts, too. Hang in there!

Mrs.Robertson said...

Being forced to stay in bed and read and blog? How terrible! ;-) My thoughts are with you and I hope little Snow decides to stay in utero as long as possible so you have extra time to read! :-)

Lisa said...

I look forward to the reviews, but I'm sorry to hear you're on bed rest. I'll be thinking of you.

Grateful Gramma said...

I had to stay in bed the last two weeks of my pregnancy, also due to hypertension. As much as I love to read, it was not an easy time. I pray that you and baby will continue to be safe and strong until your delivery time.

Amy said...

Prayers ascending for you and the baby! Try to relax and store up energy for when he gets here. :)

Marg said...

Fingers crossed that everything works out as it should for you and your baby.

Joy said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you, the baby, and your husband, Amanda. Also, I'll pray that someone will bring you loads and loads of books. :)

Charlotte said...

I second all the others--I'll be thinking of you, Amanda!

Amanda said...

Thanks to you all! Though I do love to read, it can get old after reading all day long! Hopefully I'll be perusing everyone's blogs a lot more! I'll keep you all updated!

Susan said...

I'm so sorry to hear you are on bed rest. That can't be fun. At least you will get some good reading done.

I had both of my boys at 29 weeks, and although they both had to stay in the hospital for 1 - 1 1/2 months, they are perfectly fine now. Modern medicine is a miracle. You're in my prayers ...

Maggie said...

Bed rest (when you have to) really is the pits, but it is for the best. I hope all is well.

Maw Books said...

Oh my, bed rest so early into the pregnancy. I wish you the best and much happy reading! By the way, I've been enjoying your blog in my reader but can't recall if I've ever commented. Thought I would come out of the woodwork now to wish you the best.