Sunday, May 11, 2008

Comfort Food

When I read last year's Friday Night Knitting Club, I was delighted to find a new author that wrote an enjoyable, comfortable story. The characters were all very relatable and the plot believable. Unfortunately, on Kate Jacob's second outing, Comfort Food, I found that the second helping of her book just didn't compare to the first. I didn't connect with any of the characters and though I love anything "food" related (I'm a food network junkie), I just didn't love this book.

Augusta "Gus" Simpson is approaching her 50th birthday and is stuck planning her own party and being forced to bake her own birthday cake. Food tv guru, thus making her world famous, planning parties and making cakes is her job, yet Gus wishes that this year, someone else would make her feel special, other than herself. She knows that in order for this to happen, she has to help the close people in her life learn to take care of themselves and not to rely so much on her to solve everyone's problems.

By creating a cooking show that will teach real people how to make gourmet meals and will incorporate her family and friends, as well as a couple of people Gus is less-than thrilled about, Gus hopes she will accomplish her task of ensuing a sense of independence in her family and friends, ultimately benefiting everyone's lives, not to mention Gus's career, and maybe even fall in love while she's at it.

Though very witty and description when it came to food, this second outing by Kate Jacobs just didn't stand up to the first. I love knitting and I love food, so I'm not being biased on the subject matter, I just didn't enjoy the characters nearly as much, nor did I really enjoy the storyline. I was more than a bit bummed, as I was looking forward to another book by an author I really enjoyed the first time around. Oh well, we can't win every time! I still look forward to a third by Jacobs, I'm not giving up!

3 comments:

Susan said...

That's so funny, because I liked Comfort Food a lot better than The Friday Night Knitting Club. I liked that Comfort Food was more focused, and had less characters to keep track of. I also thought it was better written in general.

Isn't it funny how people's opinions vary so much on every book? Seeing the variety is what I love most about book blogging.

Charlotte said...

Gosh, I hate that let down feeling of second books that don't do it for you...

I have tagged you for the Meme of Five, if you haven't done it already.

And I hope all is going well...

Grateful Gramma said...

Just finished The Friday Night Knitting Club, after reading about it here. Really liked it. Now I'm going to go look for Comfort Food and see what I think about it.