Friday, May 16, 2008

We Have a Baby!!

Sorry I've been missing in action everyone, but it's with good reason. Our baby boy has made an early appearance! Without giving all the crazy details, here's what happened over the past five days:

Monday we went for another blood pressure appointment and to be put on the fetal heart rate monitor, as we have twice a week since bed rest was ordered. The baby's heartbeart kept doing dips, so I was admitted to the hospital for observation. My blood pressure was once again sky high and the heart rate continued to dip, so I was flown from Alamogordo to the University of New Mexico hospital in Albuquerque. This also happened to be our anniversary...what a day!

Tuesday I was kept on monitors all day and was given two ultrasounds to watch the baby. He appeared fine, but between my blood pressure and his heart doing weird things, they were still pretty concerned. Aaron and I were of course in a panic, because we knew we didn't want to have to deliver yet...it was too early.

Wednesday our worries were proved to be right, as the doctors decided to deliver me. I went in for a C-section at about 8pm and the baby was born at 8:35 pm on Wednesday, May 14th. He was officially at 27 weeks 3 days gestation and weighed only 1lb 5oz. He did give a little cry when he was born, but was then whisked away to the NICU. My uterus decided it didn't want to stop bleeding, preventing the surgery from being as quick as it should have been, but all ended up fine and I was able to see the baby about an hour later.

Now, baby Jacob Aaron Snow is doing remarkably well for his size. He is on a ventilator, but is barely needing it, which is great! Lots of tubes and wires coming out of his tiny body, but he is stable and hopefully will remain that way. We do not expect a perfect ride and know there will be setbacks at times, probably a lot of them. He is a tiny, tiny boy, but has lots of hair and is just beautiful. Already the nurses in the NICU call him the "cute one in bed 24."

Jacob will be in the hospital at least until his due date, which is still 3 months away. I will be living here in Albuquerque, 4 hours away from home, at the Ronald McDonald house. Aaron will be going back to work in Alamogordo during the week and coming up on weekends. Difficult, but necessary for the time being.

Jacob Aaron was named after my brother and his daddy. We, unfortunately do not have our nice camera with us, but this picture should tide you all over for the time being. I probably will not be posting reviews for awhile, at least until I recover a bit more, am discharged from the hospital, and get settled in at Ronald McDonald. I'll be updating lots on Jacob though, so stayed tuned and please keep him in your prayers. He's tiny and has a struggle ahead of him. We know God has a plan though and trust He will do what is best for our baby and our family.

16 comments:

Susan said...

Congratulations, Amanda! I'm so glad you and your son are doing well. Both of my boys were preemies (29 weeks), so I know how crazy it is to have babies in the NICU. Hang in there!

Erin said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! :D

Joy said...

WOW!!! Congratulations and welcome to the world Jacob! :)

Becky said...

Congratulations! I'll keep you and your family in my prayers :)

Marg said...

Congratulations. I will be keeping you all in my thoughts as you go through this tough but amazing time as a family.

Grateful Gramma said...

What a beautiful baby boy! I'm glad he's here safely. I pray that he'll do well and you'll both be back home soon.

Floral said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Amanda. I said a prayer for little Jacob...

3M said...

Congratulations on your new addition to the family. I'll be praying for all of you during this time!

Kailana said...

Congrats! Even early it is hard to believe all that time has gone by already! I hope everything continues to go well.

cipriano said...

Super CONGRATULATIONS to you, Amanda and Aaron.
And just think, Amanda.
Think of how many children's books you already have!
To read to little Jacob!
All the best to you.
-- Cip

Charlotte said...

Congratulations from me too! He looks like a little darling.

Abby said...

Congratulations!

Lisa said...

Congratulations Amanda. My thoughts are with you and your boys.

Theresa said...

Amanda,

Congratulations. Jacob Aaron is beautiful! You and he are in my prayers. Best wishes.

Amanda said...

Thanks to you all! It's been a rough week, but we're hanging in there!

Christina said...

Congratulations on your new baby! I'm glad to hear you both are doing well! My little boy, Danny, was born May 8th at 26 weeks & 3 days, so we're both going through this together. If you ever need anyone to talk to, feel free to contact me (anesthezea at gmail.com). I know I'm a complete stranger and close family and friends are better, but sometimes I find it helps to talk to other NICU mommies, too. Take care and stay positive! ::hugs::