Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Baby Jacob Update

It feels like this whole crazy journey just started yesterday, but it's actually already been almost a month! Jacob will be a month old on Saturday and though he hasn't made a whole lot of changes, things are going alright with his health and Mommy and Daddy's sanity. He finally made it over the 2 pound mark, a very big milestone for my little munchkin! Unfortunately, his breathing is still not doing very well, so as of yesterday they started him on a steroid burst to try and get him off ventilation. Every day he has a tube in his throat, the more likely he will end up with chronic lung disease and we definitely don't want that. The steroids will hopefully move him quickly from the high powered oscillator to a lower powered regular ventilator, then to CPAP nasal prongs, then just to oxygen. He is still so small though, no one knows how he will handle all that activity.

On the positive side, he is gaining weight fairly quickly and doing great on his feedings. I can't wait to actually be able to feed him myself, but for now the breast pump is my best friend and the feeding tube is Jacob's! We've gotten pretty good at changing diapers through the isolette windows and Daddy is a champ at temp readings and tube tape adjustments. Jacob also spends a lot more time with his eyes open, which is a lot of fun for us! I think they're blue....he looks so much like his Daddy, I'm hoping he at least has that part of me!

That's all the updates for now. Enjoy the pictures!

7 comments:

Susan said...

I'm glad Jacob's doing so well. Don't you love the kangaroo care? It feels so good to snuggle like that with your baby :)

Jen Robinson said...

I'm glad he's doing well, too, Amanda. I've been thinking about you, and hoping that he was growing fast. And I'm so impressed that you've been able to keep writing reviews, too.

Kerry said...

I remember kangaroo cuddles with all the wires and things attached and a little boy who barely fills both your hands. They are very, very special cuddles. I'm glad to hear Jacob is doing well and hope things continue to go well.

My little boy ending up with CLD and he's now 4 and has outgrown it, so even if it comes to pass it doesn't have to be a life sentence. I hope you avoid it all the same.

Sending lots of tiny baby hugs to you all.

Mrs.Robertson said...

I don't know you personally. We haven't met... I just read your blog for the book reviews... but I was very relieved to hear that your baby is doing well... As unbelievable as it sounds, my thoughts have been with you. Thanks for sharing a piece of your non-book life with us... the pictures are great, and Jacob just looks completely precious. My best wishes for continued milestones, even if they're just small ones!

Charlotte said...

Thanks for the update, Amanda! I've been thinking about you and Jacob (and will keep on doing so!)

That's cool that reading to him has a noticable physical impact--I bet it's because you read to him so much before he was born!

KTteacher said...

Prayers for you and your child!

Christina said...

I'm so glad to hear he's doing well! And congrats to him on his weight gain! When my own little preemie hit 2 lbs. I called everyone I knew with the news, hehe. Take care and best wishes for you and your family!