Sunday, June 8, 2008

Little Wing

This is one of the books I’ve read this year that I will be recommending to everyone I know, especially those that are new moms or about to be new moms. Though listed as a young adult book, Little Wing by Joanne Horniman definitely reads more adult and apparently has a companion novel out there, that believe me, I’ll be looking for as soon as I can.

Sixteen year old Emily is living with her godmother, Charlotte, after leaving her boyfriend Matt and new daughter, Mahalia. She is severely depressed, suffering from incredible postpartum depression and is not only unable to care for her daughter, but also unable to really care for herself. Doing nothing but sleeping, eating, and walking, Emily slowly has become a shell of her old self, never understanding why she feels so disconnected from Mahalia, but desperately yearning to learn to love her. On one of her walks, Emily meets Martin and his young son Pete, a pair that allow Emily to be herself, depression and all, never asking her to return to the old Emily, never having known that version. As the weeks pass, Emily learns whether or not she can ever be the same again, or ever love her daughter.

Though sad and solemn, Little Wing is incredibly well-written and one that I devoured. Having just had a baby myself and due to his prematurity, being forced to be disconnected from him, there was much I could relate to and understand within Emily’s situation. The companion novel, Mahalia, apparently tells the side of the story from Matt, Emily’s boyfriend’s, point of view. If it’s as well-written as this one, it’s guaranteed to be a winner!

Originally published in Australia in 2006, Little Wing is now availble here in the good old USA!

1 comment:

Anna said...

Thanks for the review, as always. I think I'm going to check both of these books out. I like young adult books that can also be enjoyed by adults.