Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Art of Racing in the Rain

Simply stated, I loved this book. And no, it's not just because it happens to be narrated by a dog. I know what you all are thinking, I'm dog obsessed (yes, I am), but this book is worth reading even if you aren't a dog fan. It's unique, addictive, and wonderfully sad. I wish Enzo could meet my Shae, I think they would be friends.

Enzo is the family dog of Denny, a professional race car drive, his wife Eve, and little daughter Zoe, and is the narrator of Garth Stein's lovely new book. The first paragraph indicates that Enzo is telling his story of growing up with this family on the eve of his death, setting in motion a plot that is sad, yet so beautiful. Through Enzo's eyes, we are able to see Denny meet his soulmate in Eve, marry her and have Zoe. We see Eve become ill and eventually pass away, leaving Denny to deal with more than he ever bargained for. Depression, a court trial, and heartbreak are all shown through Enzo.

I loved the manner in which Enzo took care of his family, yet was still able to be just a dog at the same time. The writing is wonderful, not to mention incredibly unique. This is one title everyone should read. I've said that about very few books, but The Art of Racing in the Rain is most certainly one that should make the list. I believe that the way Enzo views his family is the way that all dogs view their families...as something to love and protect, have fun with and mourn with. Dogs are so much more intelligent than we give them credit for. They really are our best friends and Enzo gives us that needed glimpse into a dog's perspective. Read this!

There is a great video preview of the book at Amazon. Watch it! The dog is the perfect Enzo!

1 comment:

RunnerGirl said...

I just read this and I adore it as well. I was a bit skeptical at first, but I'm so glad I gave it a try!