Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Mighty 12

When I entered my senior year of high school (which now seems so very long ago) I signed up for Journalism as my Advanced English elective for that year. After the first 5 minutes, I absolutely hated the class and the very next day I transferred to the other course offered that semester: Myths and Legends. On my first day in that class, I began my love affair with Greek Mythology. Through the years I have read many stories and books surrounding the Greek myths and have found I really can't get enough of the subject. Thank goodness I hated Journalism!

The latest book that has followed my love of the Greek myths is a work written by Charles R. Smith Jr. and illustrated by P. Craig Russell entitled The Mighty 12: Superheroes of Greek Myth. The book is presented as almost an anthology of the different Greek Gods, what they represent, their powers, and appearance. Both the font and the illustrations are done in a recognizable comic book style format, which I'm not typically a huge fan of, but works very well in this particular book. The coverage of the mythological characters is extensive and interesting, as well as entertaining, and a good choice for adding to collections of this nature.

The Mighty 12 would be a great companion to the infamous "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series by Rick Riordan or Anne Ursu's "Cronus Chronicles."

No comments: