Monday, September 29, 2008

Non-Fiction Monday: Unearthing Ancient Worlds

I know I've posted about this awesome series before (though I can't, for the life of me, find the actual post), but I've recently looked through the newest books in the series, out next month, and had to post about them again. They are THAT good!

The "Unearthing Ancient Worlds" series, published by Lerner, are some of the most interesting non-fiction books I've looked at in a very long time. The four I've reviewed for this post, Easter Island, Maccu Picchu, Angkor Wat, and Troy are all excellent for middle and high school aged students doing reports or just as browsing material on ancient cities and cultures. Seriously, I've read these for pleasure! The material is upbeat, not dry or boring, and the photographs... goodness, the photographs are just amazing. The actual text is only around 70 pages long, give or take, and there are lots of photos and small text boxes included, making for appropriate reading length, not overly long. There are also bibliographies, indexes, maps, and timelines in each book, making them perfect for a research project.

I recommend that all libraries have these on-hand and if you are a homeschooling parent of a middle or high school student, these are essential books. There is an entire series, as I've mentioned before and you can head to Amazon to purchase any of the ones I've mentioned here by clicking on the book titles. These really are amazing books!

1 comment:

Serena said...

I would love to check out these guides. I've always wanted to visit Machu Picchu!