Sunday, October 5, 2008


So, I'm not giving a synopsis of Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer, as most of you have read it by now. I do, however, want to give my opinion on some things, as that's what we reviewers are good at! Beware of spoilers please....

First of all, let me just say that I really love this series. Twilight was great, a little romance, some thrills, lots of mysteriousness. New Moon was pretty fantastic as well, with the introduction of more creepiness, deeper characterizations, and still some pretty good thrills. Eclipse started to annoy me a tad, well shall I say, Miss Bella Swan started to annoy me. Finally, in Breaking Dawn, Bella has made me turn against her, as has Jacob, and by the end I both wanted the series to finally be done, but had waaay too many unanswered questions.

I honestly feel as if Stephanie Meyer felt as if she really had to impress her readers with this final book in a much loved series and in attempting to do so, went completely over the top crazy. Breaking Dawn is filled with something like 20 new characters, enough that she needed to place an index in the back, a vampire baby with an absolutely ridiculous name, an almost adult Jacob falling in love with an infant, and so much whining and stubbornness from Bella, I almost couldn't take it.

I was so excited to read about Bella's transformation into the vampire world and unfortunately, that portion of the plot took all of 50 pages in an 800 page book. I finished the final page wanting to know the extent of her powers, what else her daughter can do, how this imprinting of Jacob was going to proceed, etc., but felt like I was lacking something. I really believe that Meyer tried to stay true to her characters, she just was under so much pressure to impress that the book spun out of control.

Though I've heard her next book has been put on hold indefinitely, I will certainly look forward to reading whatever Meyer publishes in the future. I still have to read The Host and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Her writing will suck you in, this title just needed to be tamed a bit.

To learn more about Breaking Dawn or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.


Anna said...

I agree about the unanswered questions. What bothered me the most, though, was how Meyer built up the meeting with the Volturi, and then nothing!

I added the link to your review to mine, which is here:

The Host was really good. I liked that one better than Breaking Dawn.


Andrew Clarke said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Serena said...

There are a great many unanswered questions in the book, but I find that there was a whole lot of things that could have been left out of the 800 page book in favor of expanding on other things.

I really enjoyed The Host, and I think you'll like it as well.

Check out my breaking dawn review here:

My Host review here:

I will add your review to my breaking dawn post. Also thanks for the update on the Cybils awards.