Friday, October 17, 2008

The Ghost's Child

In The Ghost's Child, written by Sonya Hartnett, we meet Maddie, an elderly woman that returns home one afternoon and finds a peculiar little boy waiting for her in the living room. He offers no explanation as to why he has entered her home or what he comes for, but he enchants her enough that she offers him tea and proceeds to pour out her life story to him, mainly that of a wild man she fell in love with and ultimately left her heartbroken.

The boy responds to many of Maddie's descriptions with appropriate questions (though appropriate for a small child I'm not sure) and is both adorable and mischievous. Maddie and her past are both haunting and wonderful at the same time, making for a beautifully put together story.

I was quite intrigued by this little novel and was not disappointed once I finished it. The characters were lovely and the writing artistic and unique. That being said, I have a hard time picturing any young adults picking this book up and reading it for pleasure. It reads like a story I would have been handed as an assignment in AP English years ago (it actually reminded me of The Yellow Wallpaper...why I'm not entirely sure). Perfect for writing a paper, as it's shrouded in mystery and intrigue, but the language is rather intense and their isn't a whole lot of excitement. I can see many of us adults enjoying it, but I can't see any of my patrons reading it.

If you're interested in learning more about The Ghost's Child or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.


ibeeeg said...

This book sounds intriguing. I may have to check this one out.

Anna said...

Thanks for the recommendation! Sounds like a great read.

Diary of an Eccentric