Sunday, October 26, 2008

Halloween Books, Day 3: Pretty Little Monsters

Kelly Link has created a unique collection of weird stories in Pretty Monsters: Stories. All of these stories are completely unexpected in their plots and have tidbits in them that I have absolutely never seen before! Though not necessarily a Halloween Book, Pretty Monsters is definitely a creepy, and sometimes hilarious, read.

My favorite story, simply for it's amazingly unique basis, is "The Faery's Handbag." A young girl has a grandmother that holds an entire village in her handbag! And it's a totally NORMAL thing! How crazy is that? Another great story, definitely creepy creature related, is "Monster," in which teen boys at a summer camp are stalked and ravaged by a scary beast. Another story is about aliens and yet another is about an addictive tv show....what's really going on in that show?

Incredibly unique and filled with lots of creepiness, Pretty Monsters is a great teen choice for the Halloween season. I found myself shivering half the time, while the other half I was laughing with incredulity!

If you want to learn more, or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

1 comment:

Alea said...

This book definitely sounds interesting! I don't normally like scary things but this is winning me over!