Monday, October 27, 2008

Halloween Books: Day 4 Twelve Terrible Things

When I first started turning the pages of Twelve Terrible Things, written and illustrated by Marty Kelley, I wasn't so sure I was going to enjoy the book. It was filled with bad things, experiences no one wants to go through...then I realize...duh Amanda, that's the POINT! Needless to say, I ended up very impressed.

The point of this yucky picture book is definitely fulled as each page introduces us to something terrible to children. The first page even offers fair warning to readers as to how terrible the pages in the book really are; I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised! We start off easy, with the ice cream falling off a child's cone. We then graduate to a more higher level of terribleness with a visit to the dentist's office and the arrival of a cheek-pinching Aunt. Finally we move to the truly terrible experiences: jumping off a high dive at the pool and flushing the pet goldfish down the toilet. Lovely huh?

The true gem within this book are the amazing illustrations. They are done so well, they almost look as if they are photographs jumping off the page. My favorite page is that of the dentist reaching into the patient's mouth...he really looks like he's coming for you! I was in awe by the realistic nature of Kelley's drawings.

Kids will laugh all the way through Twelve Terrible Things and none of the experiences listed are so terrible as to not be shared with the little ones. Though I will admit, if you're not scared of clowns before reading this, you just may be afterwards!

If you would like to learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

1 comment:

The Burns' said...

I reviewed this title for The Well Read Child. The review is cross posted at my blog here
I love your review!