Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Honoring My Little Boy....

The fabulous Miss Charlotte over at Charlotte's Library has started a wonderful way to honor my son...and we need YOUR help! I'm including the text of her post, so you can get the idea of what we are trying to do:

In September, Amanda, at A Patchwork of Books, lost her little baby Jacob after a four month fight for his life. To honor Jacob's life, his mother's love of books, and the precious times when she and her husband read to him, the children's book blogging community has come together to give books away to places where they will bring happiness to other children and their parents.

The wonderfully talented writer and illustrator Katie Davis has designed a book plate just for Jacob, which can be downloaded from a pdf here. Please help us remember Jacob by printing book plates out on Avery full sized labels, putting them in books you know kids will love, and donating them wherever you think the need is greatest (such as a Ronald MacDonald House, which you can locate through this link, a Head Start Program, or a neighborhood center or church that serves needy kids).

If you need a suggestion for a book to donate, here's a list of favorites Amanda sent me:

Peg Leg Peke by Brie Spangler (this was Daddy's absolute favorite to read)
I Like Black and White by Barbara Jean Hicks (Jacob's favorite to look at, he could stare at the pictures all day)
On the Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman (Mommy's favorite to read)
Snuggle Puppy by Sandra Boynton (our "good morning" book)

And let me know, please, either by email (see below) or in the comments, what you've donated--I'd like to keep a list going at this post for Amanda and her husband to see (as much detail as you feel like giving--it would be great to know the number of books, or their titles, and where they've gone).

If you have any questions, please let me know at

To actually access the PDF, please visit Charlotte's blog. Though you can donate anywhere you choose, please keep in mind your local Ronald McDonald House. I'm sure they would loooove the books! They helped my husband and I so much over the last 4 months, I would love to give back to them.


Callista said...

Wow that's awesome! I'll go see what I can do to help.

Serena said...

I will have to check this out. I would love to contribute.

Susan said...

What a neat idea!

Lisa said...

That is so great.

shelburns said...

Amanda I wanted to let you know that I am donating You Think It's Easy Being the Tooth Fairy?, to my school library, Willbern Elementary, in Jacob's honor. This is a great book that I was fortunate to get to review. Read the review and author interview here

bjhicks said...

Amanda, I'm so sorry to learn about your loss. I'm also very happy that Jacob got such pleasure from the pictures in I Like Black and White. I wrote the text for this book, and I too love the illustrations provided by Lila Prap, a wonderful Slovenian artist I now count as a friend. I've never had children of my own--a great sorrow--and I love writing for children now as a way to have them in my life. Many blessings, Barbara Jean Hicks