Monday, October 6, 2008

Review of the Day: Cicada Summer

I loved this. Loved it, loved it. I read it in about a half hour, turning pages faster than ever before, just wanting to know more. I'm sooo glad it's been nominated for a Cybil...Andrea Beaty really outdid herself this time.

Lily reads Nancy Drew books constantly, as they are her comfort. She doesn't talk, many would even tell you she's dumb, but Lily is just a keen observer, soon placed in the beginning of her own, real-life mystery. When a new girl, Tinny, moves to town, Lily's calm life is turned upside-down, as Tinny is mean to her, steals her friends, and gets her into trouble. Lily isn't entirely sure why Tinny hates her or how to fix things, but she knows she has to. When Tinny disappears, Lily is on the case, determined to find the lost girl before something terrible happens.

Lily is one of the most beautiful characters I have come across in a long time and I can promise you will want to do nothing more than to hug her from page one. This girl needs a hug! She is witty, true, real, and smart, though so many believe otherwise. Tragedy has been placed upon this girl and it is evident she is lost within heartache. Beaty wrote this story in a beautiful and touching manner, which I can't wait to see more of!

As I said, Cicada Summer has already been nominated for a Cybil and if I had my way, I could see a Newbery in it's future as well.

If you're interested in learning more about this title or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link back to Amazon.

1 comment:

Jen Robinson said...

I loved this one, too, Amanda. And I also thought that it had a Newbery feel.