Saturday, October 4, 2008

Review of the Day: Splat the Cat

Splat the Cat, written and illustrated by Russell the Sheep creator Rob Scotton, is absolutely perfect for back to school month. Since first reading it, it has flown to the top of my list to recommend to parents of children heading off to kindergarten or even to any other grade this fall. I just know everyone that comes in contact with this book and the character of Splat is going to fall in love.

On page one we meet Splat, a fuzzy black cat that is about to head to school for the first time. He is terrified of what school will be like and does everything possible to make it possible to just stay home. His mom convinces him to head off to his first day, but Splat knows he will need a friend to help get him through the day, prompting him to place his pet mouse (yes, a mouse) in his lunch box. Splat’s day goes much better than he expects and he begins to actually enjoy school, until his pet mouse decides to peek his head out of the lunch box. Where there are mice and cats together, problems are bound to arise!

The story is cute and the illustrations are AMAZING!! This has been a huge hit with me and I know kids everywhere will get a kick out of Splat’s story, especially if they are new to the school scene. With this one book, Scotton has charmed me and convinced me to add him to the list of my favorite children's authors and illustrators. I hope more Splat book are to come!

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

No comments: