Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Bear Called Paddington

I can remember being in either third or fourth grade and being taken to a production of Paddington Bear on the "big stage" in Syracuse, NY. An actor in a huge bear suit and rollerskates portrayed Paddington and though I can only imagine how terribly acted that play probably was to an adult, it was that day that I fell in love with Paddington Bear. I read the books about him like they were going to disappear any moment, I had a stuffed Paddington, and I always made my parents talk to the bear as if he were real.

Now, Paddington is 50 years old, having been created in 1958, and thus 8 wonderful Paddington stories have been put into this beautiful anniversary edition book A Bear Called Paddington. Michael Bond's adorable and lovable character comes alive with illustrations done by Peggy Fortnum. My favorite story will probably always be the first, "Please Look After This Bear," but all of the other stories included will delight as well.

Paddington Bear is a character from your past that you can share and enjoy with your own children. He doesn't age, as toys do, nor does he ever go out of style. Paddington will always be a winner in my house and this book now has a prominent place on my shelf. It will be well worn in just a few years, I can guarantee that!

If you're interested in learning more about my beloved Paddington or to purchase this book, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.


Lindsay said...

I have a stuffed Paddington too! He always makes me think of marmalade. :)

Anna said...

I'm going to have to get this book. Paddington always was one of my faves. I wasn't lucky enough to have a stuffed Paddington though. :(

Diary of an Eccentric

Tina's Blog said...

Just last year I dug out my copy of A Bear Called Paddington that I read to my girls. It was the first chapter book my mom read to me in kindergarten (I was lucky enough that my mom was my kindergarten teacher! :) )My copy is looking very worn out, but it still brings back good memories. I also purchased the new Paddington book that came out this summer, but haven't read it yet.

Amanda said...

I'm so glad all of you can reminisce with me! I love Paddington...