Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

I LOVED this book! I think the writing, the characters, and the plot were absolutely brilliant and I can see myself raving about this one for a long time to come. You will walk away from this book cheering for the main character and wanting a sequel so badly, just so you don't quite have to let Frankie go. I was waaay impressed to say the least. Read it!

In The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, written by E. Lockhart, the so-named Frankie Landau-Banks is a rich 16 year old attending an incredibly prestigious boarding school that both her father and her older sister have previously attended. Though not the most popular girl in school by any means, Frankie has a few good friends, a few past boyfriends, and lots of great wit about her. She's funny, smart, and has quite the chip on her shoulder, having always been considered in a lower status because she's female. When she discovers that her new boyfriend, big-man-on-campus, Matthew, is involved in the same, exclusive all-male secret society her father has always bragged about, Frankie is determined to find a way in...or make the boys involved realize just who they are dealing with.

The brilliance and wit of this novel are so refreshing and Frankie is just the girl that I always wished I could be. Brave enough to stand up to traditions she feels are unnecessary, yet likable enough to be friends with. I probably laughed out loud at every page, if not every other and wanted to kick myself for not thinking up the concept of the novel. I loved it through and through and feel it definitely deserves it's finalist status for a National Book Award. I loved, teens will love it, almost all of my adult friends are going to learn to love it! :-)

6 comments:

Joy said...

This is on my TBR list and really want to get to it soon! Glad to see you think it's a winner.

Susan said...

I have this book sitting in my TBR pile - I guess I better move it up to the top! Thanks for the great review.

Abby said...

Yes! I love Frankie, too!

Becky said...

I keep wanting to get to this one.

Becky

Maw Books said...

I just finished reading this one last week and enjoyed it as well!

Charlotte said...

As soon as I'm done with science fiction/fantasy, this is going to be one of the ones I read!