Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Holiday Gift Ideas: Keep it Green!

Ask my husband and he will tell you that his wife is obsessed with keeping our planet clean and running smoothly by recycling everything in sight (even if it means driving 20 minutes to drop off glass items), using products that are healthy both to our bodies and the environment, and by purchasing gifts that did not harm our Earth while they were being made.

This holiday season is perfect to get into being "green" in your home by buying some of the items I'm going to tell you about, as gifts. These are, of course, just a few things I thought were neat and someone in my family will be getting as a gift (so stop reading family...you'll spoil the surprise)!.

The Melissa and Doug Slice and Bake Cookie Set is seriously one of the COOLEST things I've ever seen and made me so glad I have nieces! The set includes 12 "sliceable" cookies that come in a tube, just like Pillsbury cookies and there is fun frosting and decorations, which attach with velcro, and utensils to "decorate" your "cookies." Everything is made of wood and earth-friendly paint and seems really durable. Much better than the plastic food I got to play with (and smoosh) when I was younger! Not a bad price either, Amazon sells it (and all the other super-cool Melissa and Doug sets) and their price is about $20.00, but you can always buy it from a different seller off that site too, for less.

My next suggestion is one for the adults (and one I want SO badly for myself...). They are amazing recycled mixing bowls, made of recycled melamine which is incredibly durable. You can throw them in the dishwasher, use them for about a bajillion things AND they come in such AWESOME colors. Talk about brightening your day! They are produced by a company called Zak Designs, but you can buy these on Amazon too (along with the whole line of Zak Design products) and they'll set you back about 30.00. Not too shabby!

Finally, I wanted to include a gift idea for something that I've actually had some experience with (nice of me, eh?), and I automatically thought of the candles that I burn, constantly. They are made of soy, which burns clean (and longer) and is safe for both the environment and kids/adults/pets to breath around, as normal candles are not. The soy candles are almost always more expensive than regular candles, as most "green" items are, but these ones I've found are a pretty good deal, especially considering the quantity I use them in. The Brand is Earth Scents and I've used the Cinnamon Sugar, which is pictured, everywhere in my house, and the Pink Grapefruit in my bathroom. Love them!

So, I've included a gift idea that I love for the little girls in my life, one that I want pretty badly for myself, and another that I've used and love. All are good for the environment and not-so-bad on your wallet.

If you're interested in learning more about any of them, or to purchase, click on any of the images to link directly to the page at Amazon. Doing this also helps to support my own holiday gift buying. Going cheap this year....


Holly said...

Oh my goodness, I love love love the cookie set! My 3 year old would be all over that. She is so into hosting tea parties. Thank you for your suggestions!

Serena said...

what a great idea...thanks for posting these.