Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sisters of Misery

I was actually pleasantly surprised by this one, if not a tad bit disturbed. After reading the book description on the back cover, it didn't sound like something I would typically pick up, you know rich girl with snotty rich friends, wants to be nicer to people, knows her friends will shun her if she is....Sisters of Misery was actually a lot more than that. More meat, more intrigue, and I may even have had goosebumps a few times. These girls were creepy!

Megan Kelley Hall introduces us to fifteen-year-old Maddie Crane, a girl with the right clothes and the right friends to be considered successful in her seaside town. Though Maddie doesn't always agree with the attitude of her friends towards other classmates or people in general, she goes along with pretty much everything they-or mainly their leader, Kate, says, not wanting to stray from the pack. When Maddie's eccentric cousin, Cordelia moves to town to live with her, Maddie loves her spiritual nature, her easy going attitude, and her free-spirit way of dressing. Unfortunately, the fact that Cordelia is different from the rest of them means that Kate sets her sights on ruining her life life, resulting in Maddie being forced to choose between her cousin and her friends.

Things soon get ugly between Kate and Cordelia and after a mean and torturous evening on an island, Cordelia disappears. Maddie has no idea what happened to her and cannot believe she allowed her friends to treat Cordelia the way they did. She knows Kate had something to do with Cordelia's disappearance, but knows if she digs deeper into what happened that evening, she'll be Kate's next target.

Sisters of Misery was pretty suspenseful the whole way through and definitely gave me goosebumps several times. I was impressed at how well Hall channeled teens and the emotion she put into the confrontations between the girls and in the reactions Maddie had to different situations throughout the story.

That being said, I do have a couple of complaints, though minor I think. On the cover, I was slightly irritated by the tagline under the title "Best friends-or worst enemies?" I felt it was cheesy and unnecessary and it made it sound like an R.L. Stine or Christopher Pike teen novel (not to offend those who love those authors!). My main complaint about the actual plot was the institutionalization of Cordelia's mother. I don't think it was necessary whatsoever and I don't think the inclusion of a strange and haunted mental institution was an asset to the story. If that had been left out I probably would have enjoyed it more.

Overall, I enjoyed Sisters of Misery and fans of slightly scary, suspenseful stories will probably enjoy it as well. If you're interested in learning more about the book, or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

3 comments:

Abby said...

Hehehe, I'm a Christopher Pike fan! But I'm not offended... his teen books are pretty cheesy. :)

Serena said...

This is a comprehensive and delightful review. I appreciate your honesty. I think this is another one for my TBR list.

Callista said...

I love R.L. Stine and like Christopher Pike but I do see what you mean. I too felt the institutionalization wasn't needed but not enough to add it to my review. I linked to your review from mine.