Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Favorites of 2008 and some goals for 2009

Disappointingly enough, I did not quite make my goal of 200 books this year. I actually low-balled my goal, thinking I would probably read closer to 300 books, but knowing I was pregnant and all, I gave myself a whole bunch of wiggle room, however, I only got to approximately 190 books in 2008, not counting picture books or the few non-fiction children's titles I read.

These are the favorites in no particular order.

Picture Books

Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes by Mem Fox
Peg Leg Peke by Brie Spangler
The Little Big Scary People by Emily Jenkins
Bats at the Library by Brian Lies
I Am Not Sleepy and I Will Not Go to Bed pop-up by Lauren Child
Two Bobbies by Kirby Larson and Mary Nethery
How I Learned Geography by Uri
If Animals Kissed Goodnight by Ann Whitford Paul
Little Hoot by Amy Krouse Rosenthal

Junior Readers

Houndsley and Catina and the Quiet Time by James Howe
Are You Ready to Play Outside? by Mo Willems

Middle Grade

Lizard Love by Wendy Townsend
Into the Wild by Sarah Beth Durst
The Hound of Rowan by Henry Neff
The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
Clementine's Letter by Sarah Pennypacker
White Sands, Red Menace by Ellen Klages
Cicada Summer by Andrea Beaty
Waiting for Normal by Leslie Connor
The Leanin' Dog by K.A. Nuzum
Every Soul a Star by Wendy Mass

Young Adult

Sister Wife by Shelley Hrdlitschka
The Disreputable History of Frankie-Landau Banks by E. Lockhart
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Opposite of Invisible by Liz Gallagher
Thaw by Monica Roe
Perfect You by Elizabeth Scott
The Last Exit to Normal by Michael Harmon
The Patron Saint of Butterflies by Cecelia Galante
The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson
Fact of Life #31 by Denise Vega

Adult

Saturdays with Stella by Allison Bittman
Where the River Ends by Charles Martin
Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult
The Dogs I've Met by Ken Foster
The Dogs Who Found Me by Ken Foster
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

I definitely chose my adult books wisely! Those are almost all the adult titles I read last year, minus only a few, and they were all great!

Now...for my goals of 2009. Here's the small list:

Read 250 books.

Review every book that I finish. I had a hard time with this in 2008 due to pure busyness.

Read more non-fiction, both children's and adults. I love to learn and these books really fulfill that love, I just need to focus more time on those.

Keep track of the picture books I read. I've never done this before, only recorded my favorites. I really want to see how many I read.

Do a monthly post on what I've completed that month, along with an overall yearly list of titles. I keep track of all the books I read, but in a very haphazard Word document. Definitely want to polish that up.

Finally, I want to make my blog pretty! I've gotten advice from a couple of blogger friends as to how they made their blogs look so nice, I just need to actually sit down and DO IT.

Here's to a great 2009 everyone, more reviews start tomorrow!

6 comments:

Jen Robinson said...

These sound like excellent goals, Amanda. Wishing you a peaceful and book-filled 2009.

Kailana said...

That's awesome how you made out with the adult books. I wish it was always like that for me!

Here's to great books in 2009. Happy New Year!

Adam said...

There is an excellent children’s book called Other People’s Shoes. It does a great job of teaching kids the importance of kindness inside of a very captivating story. You should check it out! Here is a link: www.eloquentbooks.com/otherpeoplesshoes.html

Serena said...

Good luck with all of your goals. That's a lot of them. I only posted 2 for this year.

I love the way you organized the good reads from 2008. Keep up the good work. I enjoy reading your blog.

Can't wait to see what you do to make it "pretty!"

Terry said...

Those are awesome goals. It will be fun to follow along toward your 250 reviews and your favorites as you go along. l

provato events said...

Mary Nethery and Kirby Larson will be on blog tour Feb. 22-28, 2009. Please contact me if you are interested in interviewing them.