Sunday, January 18, 2009

Board Books

I realized today how long it's been since I've posted about board books....too long! These are a couple I've gotten over the past couple of months and have enjoyed. :)

Books Are For Eating Reading is written and illustrated by Suzy Becker. An adorable rhyming book, each page explains a different thing that baby should not eat, from shoes to crayons, books, and the phone. Try telling that to a 6 month old drooling like crazy!

"Books are for reading, not eating. Crayons are for writing, not biting."

Even though the title says otherwise, the edges of the book are absolutely perfect for teething babies. Made of textured rubber for easy gripping and eating, Becker's book is great for a shower gift or just for a little one getting ready to pop some teeth!

Books Are For Eating Reading
Suzy Becker
16pages
Board Book
Random House
9780375874987
January 2009


I have to write about Starfish: A Bedtime Story...it's written by the bass player of one of our favorite bands, Sister Hazel (along with K. Block)! He's taken one of their hit songs and paired it with some great illustrations by Sean Kelley. How cool is that? I love when I can mix two of my favorite worlds...books AND music!

Written about a boy and a lonely starfish that find each other at the beach, though it definitely reads like a song rather than a story. Be ready to sing! A cd of the song, "Starfish Lullaby" is included with the book, so you and the kiddos can listen to it once you're done with the story. A good choice for a bedtime-go to sleep soon book.

I actually couldn't find an image for Starfish, but click here to link to Amazon.

Starfish: A Bedtime Story
J. Beres and K. Block
19pages
Board Book
Sea Tails Publishing
9780978949037
September 2008

3 comments:

Becky said...

I'd not heard of Starfish. How cool! I just LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Sister Hazel back when I was in college. :) And Starfish was one of my favorite songs.

Becky said...

I know this is off-topic, but I wanted to invite you to come to the Operation Actually blog and participate in Question of the Week, a weekly feature for challenge participants.

Happy Reader said...

Amanda, You have an excellent blog here! I remember those days when my daughter used to chew on everything including board books. I love this book and wish I had read it to her then..Even now, she likes to chew on things from time to time. I'll check this out. Thanks!