Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Night Tourist

I cannot believe I am only just now getting to The Night Tourist, as so many bloggers and other reviewers simply raved about it last year, but I had a lot of reading to get done. Now that the sequel, The Twilight Prisoner needs to be reviewed this spring, so it was certainly time to get this one read. I am so glad I finally picked it up...everything you all said and more, The Night Tourist was thrilling, engaging, and touching.

From the very first line of Katherine March's exciting middle grade novel, "It was just after dusk when the accident happened" I was hooked. Jack Perdu, the fourteen year old son of a college professor is somewhat of a prodigy in the area of mythology, Latin, and the classics. When in Grand Central Station one afternoon, he meets Euri, a girl that just happens to be dead and a ghost and who begins to take him on the adventure of a lifetime, down into the Underworld of New York City.

No longer sure if he's really still alive or a new member of the Underworld, Jack and Euri begin a search for Jack's mother that died years ago. Having to constantly elude the task force in charge of keeping the "undead" out of the Underworld, the pair fly all over the city in search of his mom, meeting all sorts of colorful dead people, and slowly revealing secrets from Euri's path and just how she became one of the members of the Underworld. Jack really wants to have the ability to see his mom again and possibly bring her back up to the real world, but as his time in the Underworld progresses, he learns the real reason for his journey.

Katherine Marsh tells this story like a master of children's lit. The book is just long enough to get the story told without too much other "stuff" and from the very first page the plot is incredibly exciting. The reader is able to connect with the characters from the start...I know I just couldn't get enough of Euri. She was brilliantly written and filled with so much raw emotion, really just a beautiful character.

As I mentioned, the sequel, Twilight Prisoner, is due out this April, so get them both! If you're interested in learning more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

4 comments:

Kailana said...

I don't remember hearing anything about this book. I will have to check it out!

Charlotte said...

I hadn't heard about it either! I will look for it too.

J. Kaye Oldner said...

I'm with the other two. This is the first I've heard of it. I'll add it to my wish list. :)

Scrap girl said...

I like the sound of this book. Will add it to my list.