Friday, January 9, 2009

Poetry Friday: Loose Leashes

So it's almost 8:30 and I just now realized I have yet to post my Poetry Friday entry. Well, better late than never I suppose!

Yes, I have yet another dog book to rave about, but I promise, I only bring the best for all of you. And when I received this week's book in the mail just two days ago, I knew I would love it and I know a lot of you will enjoy it too.

Loose Leashes, written by Amy Schmidt and photographed by Ron Schmidt, is perfect for dog- loving kids. Included are 16 adorable poems, catering to the particular animal photographed and presented on the page. Each portrait is of a different breed of dog that came from a totally different background from one another. In the back pages, the reader gets to learn more about where each dog came from, their likes and dislikes, and "secret facts."

My favorite (yes, I'm a bit biased) is Fluke, a pit bull mix that has spent his life on a sailboat. His slow lifestyle is paired with an equally relaxed ballad, " Anchors Aweigh." I also got a big kick out of "Love" a sweet poem paired with the photograph of Moose and Mini, a teeny dog and a huge dog that are completely in love. How cute is that?!

From my experience, kids love to look at books filled with photographs once in awhile, rather than the typical illustrated book, as well as loving dog books (can't say I blame them!). Loose Leashes makes a great read aloud, as most of the poems are silly, as are the corresponding dogs. Great for libraries and home shelves.

Set to be published on the 13th, you can learn more or purchase by clicking on the book cover above and linking to Amazon.

1 comment:

Serena said...

This sounds like a great book...Thanks for posting this on poetry friday!