Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had review

I've been on a bit of a hiatus this past, as my best friend from the East coast was down here visiting, but I'm back now. My lovely computer has been posting for me this past week, but I haven't been posting comments or anything, expect to start hearing from me again! I did get a lot of reading done though, more than I expected to, and this review is from my favorite of the completed bunch.

Kristin Levine has created an incredibly memorable work in The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had. Memorable plot, memorable characters, and SO touching throughout. This is the middle grade novel I am now recommending to everyone I see!

Harry "Dit" Sims is expecting to spendthe summer of 1917 as he usually does, hanging out with his best friend, fishing and doing typical boy things. Unfortunately, when he finds out that Chip is going to be gone for the summer, leaving Dit without a playmate, Dit is less than thrilled. He is even more disappointed when he finds out that the new postman, Mr. Walker, brought a 12 year old GIRL with him, rather than a 12 year old boy, as Dit had hoped, AND she's black.

Stuck playing with Emma Walker, a prissy city girl that loves books and hates getting dirty, Dit knows this will be the worst summer of his life. As the summer goes on, Dit and Emma teach each other a thing or two about being black and white, the good AND the bad. When the local barber, a black man, is put on trial for a horrendous crime, Dit and Emma work together to come up with a plan to save the barber, and do the town a justice.

This story is truly remarkable in it's theme of friendship without boundaries. It is inspired by the author's family history, a wonderful aspect to the overall story, though my favorite part was the simple, yet incredibly complex relationship between Dit and Emma. Destined to hate each other, they end up closer than most kids can ever get at that age and they do it in a manner that is filled with childhood innocence and the coming of age.

Levine did a magnificent job with this title and I will be recommending it to everyone. A must for library shelves and a great selection for middle grade book clubs.

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had
Kristin Levine
272 pages
Middle Grade fiction
Putnam
9780399250903
January 2009

4 comments:

Kelly H-Y said...

I'm posting late ... but wanted to mention that I love your PB recommendations from Saturday's post! Thanks!!

Staci said...

Thanks for another great recommendation!!

Amanda said...

You're very welcome to both of you!

Kristin said...

Thanks for your lovely review of my book. I'm so honored that you enjoyed it!

Kristin Levine