Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Knife of Never Letting Go

After hearing so much about this one, I definitely had to get my greedy book-loving hands on it, especially when I learned about it's dystopian theme!

Patrick Ness has created a strange world in The Knife of Never Letting Go: Chaos Walking, Book 1. The main character, young Todd Hewitt, is the only boy left in a town full of men. Women disappeared a long time ago, after the noise germ infected the settlers. Everyone in town can hear each other's thoughts or "noise," making it incredibly difficult to keep secrets, as Todd quickly finds out.

With only a month left until his birthday, when he will legally become a man, Todd learns of a secret that forces him to flee his town and his family, with only his loyal dog at his side (whose thoughts can also be heard...very cool). He meets a girl in the woods, a species he previously believed was completely gone from the Earth, and together, they must not only stay alive, but warn other villages of the problems Todd's former town is out to create.

Filled with action, this title will definitely be pleasing to those loving dystopian novels or just looking for a good, if not a tad bit strange, adventure. Unfortunately, I didn't think it quite lived up to all the amazing buzz, but that could just be because I had set it at a level that is almost impossible to reach. I felt the story at times a bit confusing, but overall it was enjoyable and I'm looking forward to Book 2!

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.


Charlotte said...

gosh, enjoyable isn't the word that came to my mind when I read it1 :) More like "upsetting." But I'll be looking for the sequel....

Melissa said...

Sounds like an interesting book... I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the review.

Michelle said...

Oh no. I hadn't heard anything about it when I read and I was blown away.

Sharon said...

Thanks for the review. I'll have to go get this one!