Monday, February 9, 2009

Non-Fiction Monday: Three Cups of Tea

Penguin has put out a really nice Young Reader's edition of Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin's bestseller, Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Journey to Change the World...One Child at a Time. The original book (which I read last year) has been adapted by Sarah Thomson with a foreword by one of my favorite women ever, Jane Goodall.

In a format fit for a 10 and up age group (or earlier if you have a great reader on your hands), Three Cups of Tea tells of Mortenson's failure to make it up K2 in 1993, which led to his desire to build schools for children in Pakistan. After a lot of blood, sweat, and tears, over 60 schools have been built, all across Pakistan and Afghanistan, enabling children and women to get the education they so deserve.

My only "complaint" about this Young Reader's Edition is that I feel a lot of Mortenson's background, will be boring to young readers, moments such as his marriage journey and the quick glossing over of other details that could have been more important to the story. I also thought more personal accounts of specific children Mortenson met and dealt with might have made this a bit more appealing to the younger age group, but overall I can see a lot of kids picking this up and enjoying the learning process of what it took one man to get over 60 schools built.

Information on the popular "Pennies for Peace" project in which schools or individuals collect pennies which are in turn donated to help create eductional programs for children in remote Pakistan and Afghanistan (, as well as an interview with Mortenson's twelve-year-old daughter Amira, a time-line, and glossary are also included.

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

Three Cups of Tea, Young Readers Edition
Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin
Middle Grade Non-Fiction
January 2009


Tricia said...

Hi Amanda,
Have you seen the picture book version? It's called Listen to the Wind: The Story of Dr. Greg and Three Cups of Tea. I perused it briefly at Borders yesterday and was quite taken with the illustrations. However, I haven't heard much about it.

Amanda said...

I've heard that there was a picture book version, but I haven't seen it. I'll have to look for it. Thanks!

Rebecca Reid said...

I read the original book and *I* was bored by the details of his personal life. I was really hoping that this book deleted all of that. Too bad it sounds like it didn't.

Jessica said...

I am a teacher reading this book to my students. I am shocked by their lack of knowledge of how others live. Any other recommendations for books similar to this one that can help increase their "worldly knowledge?"