Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Don't Let Me Go blog tour

Don't Let Me Go: What My Daughter Taught Me About the Journey Every Parent Must Make is not a simple "how-to" book for parents. It really is a journey that father and daughter make together, over the course of years and years, up and down literal and figurative mountains. It was an interesting, heartwarming, and humorous read that I think will be appealing even for those that don't typically read Christian non-fiction.

When David Pierce's 15 year old daughter completes a book about a mountain climber and gets the urge to climb her own mountain, asking her dad to accompany her. This simple question starts a quest for bigger and better mountains, and a whole lot of self-realization. The pair begin with Pike's Peak, slowly moving onto other mountains and even marathons as they gain confidence and stamina. As they complete these strenuous activities, father and daughter create this bond that is quite obviously unbreakable. There are victories and failures, but both Chera and David become stronger people throughout the course fo the book.

I spent a lot of time laughing out loud as I read through this book and most pages was wishing that I had a chance to climb a mountain with my dad, as he passed away when I was only 9. David and his daughter had a great bond that I missed out on. Then I remember that it may not have been with my dad, but I did climb a mountain in Maine with mom, a wonderful memory that we have lots of pictures of. It was hard work, but we go to the top of that mountain and it felt great! So even though it wasn't necessarily with my father, my mama and I made one of those journeys together...making the book hit home even more.

Never preachy or too "homespun" David W. Pierce's Don't Let Me Go is a wonderful example of good Christian fiction. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Don't Let Me Go: What My Daughter Taught Me About the Journey Every Parent Must Make
David W. Pierce
213 pages
Christian non-fiction
Waterbrook
9780307444684
March 2009


To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

No comments: