Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Everything is Fine review

When a terrible tragedy befalls Mazzy’s family, her mother sinks into an unshakeable depression. Unable to get out of bed, bath herself, feed herself, or even open her eyes half the time, she has fallen into a scary sense of despair. Mazzy’s father’s method of dealing with his wife’s depression is to run far away, taking a high profile job out of state, leaving Mazzy to fend for herself. Sure, Bill comes over to help nurse her mother and some weird lady her day hires comes by now and then and brings food, but for the most part, Mazzy is alone, left to care for her depressed, invalid mother all on her own.

When a woman from Child and Family Services shows up, demanding to speak with her mother, Mazzy can only hold her off for so long, clinging to random people to try and help her be ok in her situation. Her neighbor, a boy she has a slight crush on, his mother that takes her shopping for new clothes, and a hugely overweight diabetic that crushes Mazzy with her hugs, are all the family Mazzy has left. And they're only her neighbors. Her father checked out, her mother really checked out, her house is a disaster, she has almost no food, and her life is falling apart.

Can we call this book depressing?? Holy cow yes. Though Mazzy is incredibly quirky and has quite the unique thought process, she really does try to make the best of her situation…but even with that, Everything is Fine really lacked hope. I didn’t feel any hope at all, just dark sadness, heartbreak, depression.

There were quite a few humorous moments as Mazzy still has to grow up and start becoming a woman, even lacking a mother's kind words or sense of advice. Mazzy was a weird child, I don't think her actual age was ever stated (though I could be mistaken, I don't have the book right in front of me) and I couldn't tell if she was just immature or if her mother's state allowed her to regress in terms of maturity. I think kids are just going to find her strange.

Nicely written and intriguing, I didn’t have a problem finishing it, wanting to know what happened to Mazzy and her family at the end, however I can’t really say I totally enjoyed this one. It was alright, but to me, nothing more. I wasn't attached to the characters and was confused about Mazzy most of the time.

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

1 comment:

Maw Books said...

I picked this book up at the library last week and hope to read it in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for your review!