Friday, March 6, 2009

Poetry Friday: My Teacher Dances on the Desk

What a cute little book of poems this one is! My Teacher Dances on the Desk is filled up with school poems based on the author, Eugene Gagliano's experiences as a teacher. Some are serious, some are just plain silly, and all are very clever!

The poems are pretty short and very easy to read, making them definitely appeal to kids and with titles like "Mexican Jumping Beans," "Billy Buford's Bubblegum," and the title poem "My Teacher Dances on the Desk," who can resist reading these out loud? They're all completely adorable, but my favorite is probably "It's In My Desk." You'll have to go read it to see why!

The illustrations, done by Tatjana Mai-Wyss are super cute. Done in black and white and just small and simple on each page, they fit the book perfectly. The drawing next to "The New Kid" had me in giggle fits!

Great for Poetry Month and as read alouds in classrooms, this is a cute little poetry book that would fit in at schools and libraries.

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover to link to Amazon.

My Teacher Dances on the Desk
Eugene Gagliano
48 pages
Juvenile poetry
Sleeping Bear Press
April 2009

1 comment:

Kelly said...

That book looks so good! I posted a teacher poem today as a matter of fact! Thank you for the recommendation!