Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Forest of Hands and Teeth review

So first Stephenie Meyer made me fall in love with vampires. Then she made me fall in love with werewolves. And now? Carrie Ryan has made me fall in love with zombies...well maybe not the actual zombies, but the idea that zombies can be added into a young adult novel and it can be thrilling, enjoyable, and heart-wrenching all at the same time. Darn those author women.

Taking place in a post-apocalypse era, The Forest of Hands and Teeth follows Mary, a young girl residing in a village surrounded by a zombie-filled forest. If someone gets too close to the fence or happens to be crazy enough to leave the village, he or she will be bitten and will also turn into a flesh-driven zombie. After the "death" of her mother, Mary is sent to live with the Sisterhood, the strict religious government system of the village, out to force the residents to forget that there was ever a world before zombies.

Mary is soon forced to live out her worst nightmare when the fence is breached and zombies are all over her village, forced to flee with a few other residents, all of them must work together to stay alive, though none are even sure that's what they want to do at all.

Incredibly haunting and a total page-turner, Carrie Ryan's first book had my heart in my throat throughout the book. There's love, heartbreak, action, and ZOMBIES! Crazy, but sooooo enjoyable.

Definitely recommended for teens and those adults that just couldn't get enough of Twilight.

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

The Forest of Hands and Teeth
Carrie Ryan
320 pages
Young Adult
Delacorte Press
March 2009


Nicola said...

I'm reading this right now! I just skimmed your review (I can't read reviews of books I'm reading or about to read, kwim) but did read the last sentences. So far I'm loving it too. I'm not really into Twilight but this is really well written and yeah, zombies are cool!

Melissa said...

Nice review. I can't wait to get around to reading this at some point!

Kailana said...

I am looking forward to reading this very soon!

Mama Librarian said...

Oh, man, I love zombies. I can't justify reading it during the school year (YA and all) but man, over the summer, I am getting me some zombie ACTION! (Um, that sounds bad...)