Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I Need My Monster review, a must read!

Oh how in love I fell with this charming book. I giggled, I chuckled, I stared in awe at the pictures, and when I closed the last page, I happily started at the beginning again. I think I may have found my favorite so far this year.

I Need My Monster is written by Amanda Noll and illustrated by Howard McWilliam (and oh so deliciously so). It tells the story of a young boy named Ethan that is really scared to go to sleep. See, the monster that lives under his bed, Gabe? He's gone fishing and won't be back for a week. Now Ethan has to try to make due with a substitute monster, which doesn't go so well. The first monster's teeth aren't sharp enough, the second monster is too funny, the third's tale isn't scary, and the fourth has PAINTED CLAWS. Ethan doesn't think he will ever get to sleep without HIS monster.

SO CUTE!! If you're good at reading aloud you can do lots of different voices for the different monsters, which I'm sure will crack your kids up. I can just picture reading this one at story time, all the different parts at which the kiddos are going to burst out laughing! Between the simple hilarity of the story itself and the amazing, gorgeous illustrations, I Need My Monster is a brilliant piece of picture book work. Boys and girls alike are going to love it and it's perfect for calming down bedtime jitters.

I'm buying it for every kid I know. Simple as that.

To learn more or to purchase it yourself, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

I Need My Monster
Amanda Noll
32 pages
Picture Book
Flashlight Press
9780979974625
April 2009

5 comments:

Debi said...

Oh, I really, really want this one!!! Thanks for the review, Amanda! The story sounds perfect, and if the pictures are as adorable as the cover well, this must just be a pure treat!

Staci said...

Your review has made me think I need to get this for my nephew Simon. I love the cover and the whole story idea sounds adorable!!

Amanda said...

Oh ladies, it's such a wonderful, wonderful book. I loved it!

Jane said...

Dear Amanda,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review.

I’m thrilled that you love the book as much as I do!

Howard is one of my favorite illustrators. I can’t believe how lucky I was to have him work on my project.

Amanda Noll
Author of I Need My Monster

Amanda said...

Well Amanda, your book spoke for itself. Such a wonderful treat for kids AND adults! I can't wait to see what else you produce!