Sunday, April 5, 2009

Lookie what I got in the mail (and what you'll be getting too)

When I receive a request from an author to read their book and review it, I'm always a tad bit nervous that I won't enjoy their work and thus have to tell them directly the news, rather than do it through a publisher. That being said, I still don't often turn authors down, especially newer ones, because hey....everyone needs exposure in the writing world right? SO, when Rachel Renee Russell asked me to review her upcoming book, Dork Diaries: Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life, I agreed whole-heartedly.

What I received in the mail was not simply a book, it was a present!! Not only did I get an ARC of Dork Diaries, but I got a pink and purple purse, fuzzy purple pen, gum, Tic-Tacs, a cute pink bandanna, Lipsmackers chapstick, Axe body spray (my hubby says thank you), Twizzlers, and LOVE'S BABY SOFT. I didn't even know they made that perfume anymore, but goodness did the smell ever bring me back to elementary/middle school. Most of the items in the purse had their place in the book too, which was very cool. Pictures are below.


I think all the goodies got to me, because I pretty much dropped everything else I was reading and picked up Dork Diaries. I fell for Nikki Maxwell, 14 year old, self-proclaimed dork, and typical middle-schooler. Obsessed with becoming popular and being forever frustrated with her parents for not giving her the supplies she NEEDS to reach that status, Nikki has to learn to stand up to mean girls at school, and try to figure out a way to make her new crush notice her. All of this is written down in her new diary (which she didn't even want...seriously...don't parents understand that cell phones are waaay more important than diaries? Sheesh."). So cute!!

Done in diary format with lots of cartoons alongside, Dork Diaries is very much comparable to Diary of a Wimpy Kid, just in girl-form. Hilarious in many parts, teen girls are definitely going to be able to connect with Nikki, and will be giggling at the drawings and pure spit-fire nature of Nikki. The cartoons are almost Anime-ish which will have wide appeal too. Very cute book!

If you have a daughter or a niece between about 10 and 15, she will love this! Rachel Renee Russell is kind enough to offer up 2 of Nikki's purses (AND books) for a giveaway a bit closer to the actual release date of the book. The publisher has said it's coming on out around the 2nd of June, so look for an author interview/giveaway around then!!!

Thanks again to Rachel Renee Russell for making my day with the great package! Pink is my favorite color (I'm such a girl...) and the Love's Baby Soft seriously almost made me cry. Such simple things to make me happy, really!

To learn more or to pre-order, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

Dork Diaries: Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life
Rachel Renee Russell
288 pages
Middle grade fiction
Aladdin
9781416980063
June 2009

3 comments:

Staci said...

Loves Baby Soft??? I wish they still made that..was my favorite for so long. This book sounds wonderful and how could you NOT love that goodie bag. Another book that I will be ordering for my middle school. Thanks Amanda!

Serena said...

What a great surprise...no need to enter me, but I wanted to say that's great when authors make their review copies into a package. what an impression

Amanda said...

Stacy, they DO still make it!! The author told me she found it and bought a bunch for the purses. So it's still out there!