Saturday, April 18, 2009

Mini-Challenge

So the challenge of the hour is to chat up my local library, answering some questions.

  1. What is the name of your local library? What city is it located in? My "local" library is called the Alamogordo Public Library, located in Alamogordo, NM. It's about 15 minutes away from my house and the only large public library within a 65 mile radius.
  2. How often do you go to the library? If you're a regular, do the staff know you? Up until I was placed on bedrest last year, I actually worked there as one of the Children's librarians. So, yes, the staff knows me quite well! Now I probably go in about once a week to pick up books, drop off donations, and chat with the Youth Services Librarian that has become a great friend of mine.
  3. Do you browse while you're there or just pick up items you have placed on reserve? I mainly go in with a list of items I know are in and I want. If I know something is coming up soon that I want, I totally "use" my friends on the staff and have them place me at the top of the hold list. Yeah, I'm bad, so what. hehe
  4. What is your favorite thing about your local library? Uh. Well. I love the people that work there. Unfortunately, the collection needs a lot of help, they don't do interlibrary loans (well they charge 5.00 to do one...not happening), their board doesn't seem to understand the need to spend money on renovations, and it's way too small. But I love the staff!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I love our library!

Keep up the great work and happy reading!

Jessica said...

Yay for library workers! Thanks for sharing!

Jean Reidy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jean Reidy said...

I'll meet your challenge Amanda!

1. What is the name of your local library? Koelbel Public Library - part of the Arapahoe Library District in Colorado.

2. How often do you go to the library? I go in about 1-2 times/week.

3. Do you browse while you're there or just pick up items you have placed on reserve? I do a little of both. I reserve a lot of books but sometimes I just run out of reading before I've added anything to my request bag. Then I simply browse around the shelves for something new and different.

4. What is your favorite thing about your local library? It's right across the street from my house which - believe it or not - was actually a factor in where we chose to live. It's a beautiful facility with a kind staff, a small coffee bar and a used book store - just a really nice place to while away the hours. This branch is buzzing every open hour. It's great to see young, old and everyone in between finding their favorites in the stacks. Koelbel is also home to fabulous music, dvd and books on tape collections as well. And its children's room is dynamite.