Sunday, April 19, 2009

Read-A-Thon Post 11, Final Tallies, End Event Survey, and my Charity

So I got up about an hour ago and finished up some last minutes reading. Here are my final tallies!

Title of book(s) read since last update: I read more of a book I had already been working on before yesterday, Deeper, by Roderick Gordon

Number of books read since you started: 9 completed, 1 half finished

Pages read since last update: 150

Running total of pages read since you started: 2155

Amount of time spent reading since last update: 1 hour

Running total of time spent reading since you started: (keep track of this one to be eligible for a prize!): 13 hours, 5 minutes

Mini-challenges completed: 7: Intro post, Visiting blogs, Take a Walk, Love Your Library, Mid-Event Survey, Non-Fiction Challenge, Charity

Other participants you’ve visited: since the last update, 3

Prize you’ve won: 0


I did not previously announce that I was reading for a charity, only because (as most of you know) I'm already donating to Eco-Libris at the end of this month, in honor of Earth Day. I wasn't sure it was in the budget to put another charity donation out there this soon, but after talking with Aaron, we both decided that combining this event, with another special event in our lives, the birth of our son, would be a wonderful way to celebrate two exciting things.

Last year, on May 14, I had Jacob, a 1lb 5oz beautiful little boy, that was born over 13 weeks too early. He lived out his life in a big way and went to be with the Lord on September 17th. We want to help to prevent this from happening to other families and thus began giving to the March of Dimes shortly after baby Jacob had passed away.

In honor of what would have been my little man's upcoming 1st birthday, I am donating $5.00 for each book I read today, which we will be adding to the pot for the big donation next month.

I also thought I would throw the big end-of-event survey in at the end of this post as well.

1. Which hour was most daunting for you? right around 12am (hour 16). I had to go to bed at that point.
2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? Deeper by Roderick Gordon (though you may want to read Tunnels, the first in the series). It is a incredibly exciting book!
3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Maybe more "simple" and less time consuming mini-challenges. Though they were all very creative, I didn't do any of the ones that too more than 10 minutes (making videos, drawing comics, etc). I wanted to focus on reading.
4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? the prize list is great and the cheerleaders are much needed!
5. How many books did you read? about 9 and 1/2
6. What were the names of the books you read? Something, Maybe by Elizabeth Scott, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum, A Single Thread by Marie Bostwick, Freaky Monday by Mary Rodgers and Heather Hach, The Summoning by Kelley Armstronf, Cashay by Margaret McMullan, Dying to Meet You by Kate Klise, Elly: My True Story of the Holocaust by Elly Berkovits Gross, Franny Parker by Hannah Roberts McKinnon, and about half of Deeper by Roderick Gordon.
7. Which book did you enjoy most? The Summoning
8. Which did you enjoy least? The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. It was boring! I couldn't believe it!
9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I'll definitely do this again, as a reader.

This was a lot of fun everyone! I'm going to have an "end of Read-a-thon" giveaway coming up in the next couple of hours, so check back for that!

Off to get ready for church!

10 comments:

Eva said...

Congrats on finishing!

I'm new to your blog, so I'd just like to say I'm very sorry your son left for heaven so quickly.

Amanda said...

Thanks Eva for the congrats Eva!

We only had Jacob for a very short time, but we feel so blessed for that time we did have. We got to know an incredibly strong, courageous, and loving little boy.

Alaine - Queen of Happy Endings said...

Love your blog! Congratulations on finishing and for donating to what sounds like a wonderful charity. I did this in honour of my dad who died 18 months ago. I also lost a baby girl 23 years ago and it is wonderful to find a way to honour their memory.

3M said...

Over 2000 pages is awesome, Amanda!

Anna said...

Congrats on finishing 9.5 books. That's awesome.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Beth F said...

Good job!

Marg said...

You did so well! I didn't get a chance to come around visiting during the read-a-thon, so now I am just dropping by everyone to see how they did!

Kailana said...

That's a great amount of books that you read! And, that is awesome that your charity will be getting so much money as a result! :)

A said...

That's a great number of books to have read. I wish I got more read than I did. Great job and a wonderful cause to donate the cash to.

Maree said...

You did great. I'm sorry about your wee boy, but you seem to have a great spirit. :)