Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Summoning...almost made me pee my pants

I am a huge fan of horror movies, but they have to be good horror movies. I'm talking, "I don't to go to bed b/c I'm going to have nightmares" scary. It doesn't happen very often anymore, the movies just don't do it for me the past few years. The last two that really had me almost peeing in my pants in the theater and not wanting to walk to the bathroom in the dark once I got home were "28 Days Later" and "30 Days of Night." Which is funny...the names are so similar! The same goes for books. If it's labeled as a horror novel or something "scary" it had better scare me!

Well, this past weekend, when reading for the 24 Hour Read-a-thon, I picked up Kelley Armstrong's The Summoning. Let me tell you, I'm glad it was about 2 in the afternoon, this is not a book to read at night! Armstrong has some incredibly creepy scenes and is very descriptive with her explanations of ghosts and dead people.

Chloe Saunders has been sent to live at Lyle House after what she has been told was a schizophrenic episode. She saw the ghost of a very mutilated janitor in her school hallway...really, she did. As she gets used to living in a home for crazy kids, she tries to get to know her fellow "housemates" quickly learning that no one really seems crazy. All pretty normal kids, Chloe begins to wonder what Lyle House really is a home for and figures out that the secrets and mysteries surrounding the place are huge and deep.

Working together with several of the other teens, the ones that don't hate her of course, Chloe does some digging, learning that she is definitely not schizophrenic and neither is anyone else.

I really don't want to describe much more, as there are so many secrets on these pages I'm bound to give something away. It's a frightening novel though, definitely not one to read by yourself at night! I got very into the story, it's hard to tear yourself away...make sure you have lights on!

The sequel to The Summoning is coming out soon, which is awesome, you'll definitely want more when the last page is turned.

A definite pick for fans of the Twilight or Hunted series, Wicked Lovely, or anything ghost/zombie/vampire related. It's just plain scary!

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

The Summoning
Kelley Armstrong
416 pages
Young Adult
July 2008


Alaine - Queen of Happy Endings said...

This one would be one for me to avoid so thanks for the warning. But I'll let me BF know about it, she loves this type of thing! PS love the title of the post LOL.

Staci said...

I just brought this home from my library yesterday. All the girls loved it and I'm sure I will too!!

Lalaland said...

I've already read the book. I'm not into horror either, but I didn't find it that scary.

Nicola said...

Oh my, I have this and The Awakening on their way to me as we speak. Now you've got me so excited, I'm going to be hounding the mailbox more than usual!

Teddyree said...

My BF let me know about this one, I am so getting it!!! LOL

Serena said...

this sounds like a great one to read for that creepy feeling...thanks for the review.

Kailana said...

I like her Women of the Otherworld series better, but this was a good book!

J. Kaye said...

I didn't read the review. Sorry, but I'll be reading this in a couple of weeks. I'm excited and don't wanna lose that feeling. ;) That sounds stupid, I know.

Lisa said...

I'll have to add this to my PBS list- I haven't read anything truly scary in a while.