Sunday, May 31, 2009

10 Things I Hate About Christianity review

No...this is not a negative look at all things "Christian," as the title most definitely implies. Though quite wary when I picked it up, being a devoted follower of our Lord, I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but it was actually quite enjoyable...and quite far from what I was thinking I would be finding on each page.

10 Things I Hate About Christianity: Working Through the Frustrations of Faith, is written by Jason T. Berggren and focuses on the issues a lot of us have with being those faithful followers and does so in a manner that makes us feel part of the norm, rather than a sinner for questioning certain aspects of our Christianity.

We see such subjects as the Bible, the Church, Christians in general, and seven others that the author "hates" and describes why he hates them so much in the beginning of each chapter. As the chapters go on, the author comes to respect and honor the subject he's talking about, giving us all a glimpse into our own lives. Sometimes we don't like something at all, but overtime can understand that God puts those things in our lives for a reason, to challenge us.

I definitely don't agree with everything the author said, but it was an enjoyable read and one that I would recommend to believers. I think the title may deter some though...maybe if the subtitle and title were switched around it might appeal to a wider range.

To learn more about this title, or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

10 Things I Hate About Christianity: Working Through the Frustrations of Faith
Jason T. Berggren
244 pages
Adult Non-fiction
March 2009


Thoughts of Joy said...

The title scared me away. :)

Amanda said...

It scared me at first too!! Once I opened it though, it was much much better...nothing that deterred me from reading it.

Laughing Stars said...

The title definitely grabs somebody's attention, which I guess is what a title should do. But as you said, it puts off the very people who'd want to read it. :-) Sounds interesting and thought-provoking -- thanks for the review.