Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Academy 7 review

Boy was I wrong about this what this book was about! Not in a bad way of course, just way off course as to where the story led and what I got from the description. A story about the a fancy boarding school it is....but not from a fairy tale era as I thought. Who knows where I got that from anyways. Oh well.

Academy 7 by Anne Osterlund is a little bit of The Luxe meets Star Wars. It has romance, lots of gossip, and it's set at an exquisite school in the universe. Lots of different planets in this solar system folks! Aerin Renning and Dane Madousin start out really disliking each other, mainly because Dane always beats Aerin at debate and she always beats him at combat.

After they get in serious trouble, they are given a joint punishment and slowly become friends, both being outcasts and new to the school and both harboring some pretty big secrets. As the secrets get out, Aerin and Dane both have a lot of explaining to do as to why they're at Academy 7 in the first place and how they're going to manage to stay.

I enjoyed the characters quite a bit, though I'm still not really sure on the plot. It seemed overly dramatic for what the actual secrets ended up being revealed as and often times I felt like I wasn't really going anywhere with the story. That being said, the description, setting, and characters alone are fantastic enough to carry the story without it having the most wonderful plot in the world.

Lots of fun for sci-fi fans, with enough gossip and romance to satisfy those fans. I haven't read the author's previous book, Aurelia, but I've heard that it's wonderful!

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

Academy 7
Anne Osterlund
272 pages
Young Adult
May 2009

1 comment:

towerofbooks said...

The Luxe meets Star Wars? Sounds great!