Sunday, May 10, 2009

Bones of Faerie review

This almost always seems to happen to me. I read a bunch of fabulous reviews about a book, wait patiently for it to appear in my hands, and when I finally get to read it, I don't really like it. It's happened again! Bones of Faerie was just disappointing to me. Not necessarily a "bad" book or one I wouldn't recommend to teens, however it did not live up to all the expectations I had after reading the love so many had for it.

It's been over 20 years since the War. The War between the Faeries and humans that destroyed the United States as we know it. Liza is a teen, having grown up believing that magic only kills, it does no good, and any person possessing it must be destroyed. When she discovers the tell-tale silver roots in her hair, meaning she too is one that has some sort of magic, she flees her home, afraid her father will kill her as he did her baby sister.

After almost dying on her journey through the Faerie infested woods, Liza and her traveling companion, Matthew, find shelter in a town where magic is common and not viewed as evil. As Liza gets ahold of her own power, visions, she decides she must go in search of the mother that left her...a long and incredibly dangerous journey that may not even give her the chance to see her mother or give any answers to the millions of questions she has. Oh... she'll probably die. There's that too.

Bones of Faerie held the characteristic of being written about a popular topic right now. Faeries are popping up in books all over and unfortunately, with this particular one, I was left pretty disappointed. I felt Liza was a really flat character, she was whiny at times when she didn't need to be and I had so many questions throughout the entire book that I felt went unanswered. Not a whole lot seemed to was unfortunately like I was reading just to finish, not because I wanted to. Bummer.

Argue with me if you loved it, maybe I need another point of view again!

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

Bones of Faerie
Janni Lee Simner
256 pages
Young Adult
Random House
January 2009


Abby said...

*nods* I wanted to like this one much more than I actually did... I think for me it was because a lot of stuff seemed to happen or be explained through her visions and I'm just not a big fan of visions/dreams as a device. I did think the setup of the world (magic apocalypse!) was really cool. But, yeah it fell flat for me a little bit.

Jen Robinson said...

Me, too, Amanda. I didn't like this one as much as I expected to. I ended up not reviewing it, not because I disliked it, but because I just didn't have that much to say about it. I think it might have been not connecting with the main character, as you mentioned. And a vague feeling that things were being artificially kept from the main character by the other characters.

Staci said...

That is a bummer!! It happens to us all just not everyone is honest about it and I'm glad that you shared your true feelings with us!! thanks!

Nicola said...

Well, I won't argue with you :-) Every book always has those who like it and those who don't but I am one of those who *was* really taken with the book. I don't know why. I really liked the characters and it just really was a lot of fun for me. I thought it was different from the norm.

Kailana said...

I have the same problem! Not loving books that other people love. I haven't got a copy of this one yet, so I will be curious to see what I think when I get a chance to read it!