Friday, May 8, 2009

Fade....finally!!

Well gosh, my library finally got with the times and ordered the book I've been SO patiently waiting for. Ok, well, not patiently, but I've been waiting and now it's here and I've read it. Did it live up to expectations? Ohhhh yes.

Fade is the sequel to Lisa McMann's bestselling, Wake. Once again, Janie is using her ability to fall into other people's dreams to help solve a crime, alongside her boyfriend Cabel. This time, the pair is tracking a sexual predator at their school and Janie must not only attempt to fall into the right student's dreams, but also play the part of innocent, flirty school girl to the suspected teachers.

While getting deeper and deeper into the dark underworld that is a part of her school, Janie is also slowly learning more about the dream catching ability and what lies ahead for her in. Some is good and some...not so good. She is also trying to maintain a relationship with a very difficult boyfriend. And trying not to die. For Janie, every day is a battle, but man does she handle it well.

Such realistic characters and a page-turning plot, Fade did not disappoint. I finished it in a sitting, unable to put it down, cringing every time Janie had to try and pull herself out of a dream. I love this series and though I'm not sure if a third is in the works, McMann certainly left room for one! A really unique concept for books...they're really enjoyable reads.

My only criticism is the language used within the story. Now, if swearing fits in with the character personalities and the plot, then by all means, put it in there, but whenever Janie or Cabel said the "F" word or the "S" word, I almost always felt that the author was putting it in there just to make them "sound" like teens. I didn't feel like it was really coming from them. Other than that, fabulous.

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

Fade
Lisa McMann
248 pages
Young Adult
Simon & Schuster
9781416953586
February 2009

3 comments:

Staci said...

glad to see you liked it so much Amanda! I didn't like it quite as much as you did but I will definitely be there for the 3rd book!

Nicola said...

I'm glad this one did live up to your expectations. I loved it also. There will indeed be a third book, it is called "Gone" and is expected to be out in 2010. My only real quiblle with the book was the s*exual nature of the teen realtionship which was portrayed as an OK thing, but that's just my personal beliefs not meshing with the author's pov.

Kailana said...

I am still waiting for the library to get Wake! It's on order, but it still isn't in...