Thursday, May 28, 2009

Flat Stanley is BACK!!!

You have no idea how excited I was when a box of Flat Stanley books showed up in my mailbox. A couple in HARDCOVER!! I had no idea that kids still loved these books as much as they did, but apparently there is still a Flat Stanley phenomena sweeping our nation and I've been left out. Until now!

All the books are written by Jeff Brown (genuis I must say) and incorporate the story of Stanley, a boy flattened by a bulletin board that now travels alllll over the world, having fun adventures. Of course, there is the original adventure in which Stanley is flattened and then helps to solve catch robbers that have been stealing paintings from a famous museum. That one is probably still my favorite...I like beginnings.

And then we have Stanley, Flat Again! the sequel, where Stanley ends up being an inch thick all over again, and helps one of his classmates is trapped when a building collapses. Only Stanley is thin enough to get in to help her, of course, saving the day again.

Then we have these NEW, bright shiny Flat Stanley books, in a new series called "World Wide Adventures." In the first, The Mount Rushmore Calamity, Stanley and his family travel to Mount Rushmore to see the sites and of course, end up in trouble with only Stanley to save the day.

And finally, The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery, has Stanley flying, via airmail of course, to Egypt to help an archeologist find buried treasure in a pyramid. This one is really cool and has lots of fun facts about Egypt. Education and fun are the perfect combination in these books.

The books also advertise a website, www.flatstanleybooks.com that has global facts, games, pen pal opportunities, and classroom activities, which is pretty cool too. It would be a lot of fun for a kid to have a Flat Stanley pen pal to share their Flat Stanley pictures with.

These are great middle grade choices in updated forms...both paperback and hardcover.

Have any of you participated in the Flat Stanley experience??

To learn more about any of these titles, or to purchase, click on the book covers above to link to Amazon.

9 comments:

Kristi said...

I've never heard of Flat Stanley but they sound adorable! Thanks for the tip!

Susan said...

So exciting! We've experienced the FLAT STANLEY phenomenon from both sides. We did it for two of my nephews, then my daughter's 1st grade class did it this year. So, so fun. The kids LOVED it.

MrsHK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

I loved the Flat Stanley books when I was little...they're definitely a type of book that just don't go out of style.

Kristi, you SO have to go check them out!!

Susan, I think every family or school should totally participate. It's such an awesome program!

Jeane said...

I never knew there were Flat Stanley books! My mom did this thing with some young cousins of mine where they would mail her a large paper kid called Flat Stanley and she would take pictures of stanley with her in all kinds of places like a tour, and send it back. It looked like lots of fun. Does everyone else do it this way?

Amanda said...

Yes Jeane, that's where the idea to mail the Flat Stanley paper dolls came from. They're wonderful!

macky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
macky said...

Hi Jeanne - I just chanced upon your blog about Flat Stanley. I illustrate the new Stanley books that you wrote about and wanted to say that I am glad that you are enjoying the new take on a much beloved character. You may be glad to know that there are many more FS books to come in the coming years. Take care.

Maureen said...

My class is enjoying the Flat Stanley books. However, I am confused about how Stanley became flat in the new adventures. In Stanley Flat Again he becomes flat for the second time, but is round by the end of the book. How does he become flat in the new adventures? Is he able to alternate between being flat and round?