Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Funny How Things Change review

I absolutely love when I close the cover of a book and just know it was special. I want to rave about it to everyone I see, even those that don't necessarily read for pleasure, just needing to get the book into the hands of people. It doesn't happen often, only once or twice a year, if that, but it's happened to me with this book. Go get it, please, you will not be sorry!

Funny How Things Change is the second young adult book written by Melissa Wyatt. The main character is 17 year old Remy, short for Remington...and yes, he is named after the gun. Remy lives in West Virginia, smack dab in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains. He works as a car mechanic, a job he absolutely loves, but certainly doesn't get paid a whole heck of a lot for. He and his dad live in a broken down old trailer on top of a mountain, without running water, but feel like they're doing pretty ok.

Remy has been dating Lisa, a girl from a rather affluent family, for almost three years. They are in love with each other, head over heels, and Remy has plans to follow Lisa to college in Pennsylvania, leaving behind Appalachia and finally getting out. When Dana, an outsider, shows up to paint murals on the towns water tower, Remy starts to realize that there just may be more to life than getting out of West Virginia and starting a new life. Maybe he likes his life in the mountains just fine. Maybe he doesn't need money. Maybe he doesn't need Lisa. Maybe all he needs is to be at home.

Oh the praises I sing about this book. It really has so much going for it...a beautifully written male character that even female readers are going to enjoy the plot with (who reminds me of Dane from Thaw, one of my favorites from last year, but a much nicer kid), a locale that doesn't often show up in young adult books, a great cast of characters, a believable plot, and the such HOPE. Go get this one. Seriously. I loved it. And nothing I say about it will nearly do it justice, so just trust me :)

Loved it!

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. DO IT!

Funny How Things Change
Melissa Wyatt
208 pages
Young Adult
Farrar, Strauss, and Giroux
9780374302337
April 2009

6 comments:

Kelly H-Y said...

GREAT review! You've got me excited to read it!

Janssen said...

I have a copy of this right now and now you've spurred me on to read it soon!

towerofbooks said...

I am reading this right now! I love it! Glad to hear it stays great. ;)

Ms. Yingling said...

Okay, you've convinced me, even though I never would have picked it up on my own.

Staci said...

You loved it...that's all I need!!

MaryP said...

Yes! I agree with every word. I thought it was so fresh and beautifully written. I recently saw the BBYA nominations and I was floored that this book wasn't on the list! It certainly needs to be! I think teens will love it.