Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Luxe series for beginners

I've raved about my love of "The Luxe" novels in several different posts over the past few months, but looking back, I've never actually written a post devoted just to this series by Anna Godberson that just makes me drool. It was definitely time to write them up and see if I can get some of you non-Luxe readers interested! I'm not going to describe any of the books in great detail as to not spoil anything for those of you who have not had the pleasure of opening one of these covers.

First of all, the covers of these novels are just delicious. I want to be one of those girls in the gowns so badly!! The first being the starter of the series, The Luxe, features a beautiful girl in this humongous, exquisite pink gown that takes up not only the entire cover, but the back cover as well. In it we meet our main characters that will follow us through the series, Elizabeth, Diana, Henry, Penelope, and Lina, among several others.

The second title of the series, Rumors, features a brilliant red dress on the cover and takes us deeper into the world of these late nineteenth century Manhatten socialites and the abilities they possess to ruin each others lives at the drop of a hat. And an expensive hat at that. The reader gets more of Penelope Hayes and Lina Broud in this novel and of course, more of the wonderfully charming Henry. Though I often wanted to smack him...

The third title, Envy, has another fabulous gown on the cover...this one white with beautiful deep red trim. Jaw-dropping secrets are revealed in this one and lots of lies and cover-ups are overturned. It's a page-turner for sure.

These novels are like Gossip Girl meets Pride & Prejudice. The history of Manhattan is wonderfully accurate and rich throughout each of the titles. It was fantastic to read such girly books and have a sense of a wonderful history lesson woven in. There are fights, mystery, betrayals, and lots and lots of gossip. Plenty of laugh-out-loud parts are included as well and goodness, the DESCRIPTIONS of places, people, outfits, homes...it's just magnificent. Anna Godberson knows what she's doing.

The conclusion of the series, Splendor is said to debut in October (according to Amazon). Cannot wait!!

A must have for libraries and a great gift for a teen girl. Fabulous books!

To learn more about any of these books, or to purchase, click on the book covers above to link to Amazon.

The Luxe, Rumors, Envy
Anna Godberson
464, 448, 416 pages
Young Adult
HarperCollins
9780061345685, 9780061345715, 9780061345722

5 comments:

Kailana said...

I have been planning to read this since the first book came out and still haven't. I think I will go put book one on hold at the library!

TruBlu93 said...

I'm the same way Kailana. I even got a friend go get me Luxe for my bday, but I still haven't picked it up.

Marg said...

I bought the first one based purely on the cover! Still haven't read it though.

Janssen said...

I just checked out the Luxe this week, so I'll be sure to open it today!

ibeeeg said...

I need to read Envy. I read Luxe and Rumor and enjoyed those two books.
Which out of the three books would be your favorite?

The covers are spectacular...love the gowns.