Monday, May 25, 2009

Non-Fiction Monday: Vanishing Cultures

I really enjoying showcasing new and exciting book series that I've come across in all my reviewing. I think it's really important for libraries and homeschooling parents to have fantastic non-fiction series to use in lesson plans or for kids to just pick up and browse through...it makes non-fiction about more than just facts.

For today, I've come across this fabulous series that I hope you'll help me spread the word about it. The series is called Vanishing Cultures and it features seven different titles aimed at elementary age students, teaching them about some cultures in our vast world that are at risk of truly vanishing.

Each title (all written by Jan Reynolds) chronicles a different culture in a specific region. For instance in Far North, we look at the Sami people residing in Finmark and Lapland. Sahara follows the Tuareg people, Himalaya the Sherpas and Tibetans, Down Under, the Tiwi, Amazon Basin, the Yanomama, and in Frozen Land,the Inuit.

Each book reads like a story, follow the days in each cultural group's life, from their eating habits, food gathering methods, and specific cultural rituals and beliefs. The photographs are stunning and I thought it was very cool how the author included a note in the back about her journies. She obviously traveled to each location to conduct research and in the note, she expands upon her experience in each place. A little goodie for the the adult looking at these!!

A fabulous series for all libraries and for homeschooling.

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book covers to link to Amazon.

6 comments:

Laughing Stars said...

This is terrific! Thank you for sharing these.

always_317537 said...

Hi! I have an award for you on my blog. Check it out =)

Leslie
http://livelovelaughwithleslie.
blogspot.com

Mary Ann Scheuer said...

It's a great series - I think it would really well with our 1st grader's study of the different continents. I love the way it introduces young kids to life in different places. Thanks for sharing!

Amy said...

This sounds great! I used to home school actually:-D
-AMY

Staci said...

I agree with you...most of the students at my school enjoy non-fiction but the boys really seem to dig it!!

Amanda said...

These are such great books...I hope all of you go check them out!