Saturday, May 2, 2009

Something, Maybe review

Well, Elizabeth Scott and Sarah Dessen seem to go hand in hand for me. I really like their writing styles and their real-feeling characters, and sometimes...their plots don't quite stack up to the characters. I love, love, loved Perfect You, last year's offering by Scott, but her latest, Something, Maybe, left me a little disappointed. Just a teeny bit.

Hannah does not have typical parents. Not at all. Her father, who left loooong ago, is the star of his own "reality" television show, living a party lifestyle and having lots of "girlfriends" that reside in his house (uhhh Hugh Hefner anyone?). Her mother used to be one of those "girlfriends" but now stars in her own virtual television show online. And Hannah is actually pretty normal, considering who her parents are.

She has a huge crush on a guy that she really cares about and feels is definitely the one for her, though she is always looking for ways to earn his time and affection. And she can't get, this other guy, Finn (SUCH a cool name), off her mind. What's a girl to do?

When Hannah's dad decides he wants to play father figure again, causing her whole world to pretty much fall apart after one measly afternoon in his presence, Hannah is about to learn what true love and true friendship, not to mention family, is really about. Unfortunately, none of those things are what she had planned for herself.

A really cute story, but a bit...I don't know...predictable? I'm not even sure if that's the word I'm looking for, but Something, Maybe just didn't grab me like Perfect You did. Oh well, I guess we can't all be happy all of the time!

Still a great choice for fans of Sarah Dessen and for realistic fiction. Add to your Elizabeth Scott collections, teens will really go for this. Oooh, and I did love the cover!

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

Something, Maybe
Elizabeth Scott
217 pages
Young Adult
March 2009


Staci said...

I'm actually looking forward to reading this especially after the dark Living Dead Girl!!

Angie said...

That looks like an interesting book. Thanks for the review.