Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Wings review...Run, don't walk!

GO BUY THIS BOOK!!! Did you love Bones of Faerie? Do you love Stephenie Meyer? Are you a fan of Sarah Dessen? Seriously folks, this new book, Wings, by Aprilynne Pike has such a mixture of reality, fantasy, mythical creatures, and mystery you should be totally drooling by this point. A beautiful cover, a fabulous main character, and a realistic-yet-fantasy driven plot are all part of this new book, available today! :)


Laurel has never really been like other kids her age. She was homeschooled until just recently, is never really hungry for food, and has always been beautiful but a little different looking than most girls. When she gets a strange bump on her back that slowly continues to grow, eventually becoming what appears to be a set of wings on her back, Laurel is absolutely horrified, confused, and convinced she is a complete freak.

What she and her new friend David begin to discover, however, is that Laurel is far from a freak. She has qualities like no one else and possesses such a beautiful identity that her entire world begins to change. As she learns more about herself and her background, Laurel doesn't really know whether to be scared or completely enchanted, but one thing is for sure...typical teenage girl she is not.

I really didn't want to give too much away with this review, hence the vagueness. It's filled with such wondrous things that I would love for you to really discover them yourself. Begging for a sequel, Wings is one of those rare young adult novels that comes along, allowing both adults and teens alike to fall in love with it. The plot is fantasy based, but the writing is filled with a Dessen-esque "real" feeling that I love so very much. We've had Stephenie Meyer and the Twilight books, now we're moving onto Aprilynne Pike and Wings. I LOVED this.

Buy it, borrow it, do whatever it takes to get a copy of this!

Wings
Aprilynne Pike
304 pages
Young Adult
HarperTeen
9780061668036
May 2009

7 comments:

Alaine - Queen of Happy Endings said...

What a fantastic review,very inspiring!

Missy said...

Wow! Sounds good! I usually don't read fantasy type books, but I would be willing to try this one, just based on your review. Thanks!

ibeeeg said...

Wow! Your review sure does make me want to read this book. I went and put it onto my TBR list.

JessicaLeigh said...

Alright! You convinced me! ;)
I'm looking forward to picking this book up!
Thanks for your review!

Carrie said...

Okay, I am definitely adding this one to my wish list - it sounds like one my daughter and I would both enjoy.

Janssen said...

Wow, you've sold me! I'll pick up a copy this afternoon.

J. Kaye said...

LOL! I have this one on my nightstand. :) So glad you loved it!