Thursday, June 4, 2009

Read-a-thon starts TOMORROW...my rituals

Are you ready? I am!!!! I know a lot of you probably aren't starting until Saturday morning, once the work week is officially over, but Sundays are big days in my house, busy busy, so reading all day probably wouldn't happen!!

So I'm starting tomorrow around 7am and I can go until 7am Sunday morning. I'll have almost all of tomorrow to read, read, read, then Saturday for a few hours we're holding a yard sale (pppllllleaaasse let us sell some of our stuff before moving day), but the afternoon is free. So I have a good chunk of time I can devote to reading. YAY!

Oh, and have I mentioned I'm reading for the March of Dimes? Very, very close to my heart, having had my son at 27 weeks. Their motto is to not rest until every child is born healthy and I love to do my part... $1 per book read to the March of Dimes.

I have a routine I've set up for these read-a-thons after participating in several...it's what works for me. Want in on it?

First, we have to have the right food. That means Dunkin Donuts coffee (in a bag, unfortunately not the real stuff...none around here), two (or four or six) donuts from the local donut shop, lots and lots of water (that's a usual), some snacks, and at night I'll break out the popcorn. I'm sure I won't be cooking, the hubby knows the routine now too, so that means pizza.

Read-a-thons = junk food bonanzas.

Second, we have atmosphere. I've cleaned all day today, so hopefully I won't feel too obligated to sweep or do something crazy tomorrow, though a self-professed neat freak am I. We're in the midst of packing box after box to move and everything is just kinda everywhere anyways. AND we're selling my bookcases in the garage sale, which means I have books literally everywhere you could imagine.

The atmosphere wouldn't be complete without fluffy pillows and my favorite blanket on the couch. I can't read in bed without totally falling asleep, so that's out...but my day will start out on the couch, move to the swing outside until it gets too hot, back to the couch, then back to the swing after the heat subsides. Consistency is key.

And finally...the books. Wouldn't be a read-a-thon without books right? I have my big pile (which is actually smaller this time around), which I may stray from and I probably won't finish from, but we'll see.

The books I've chosen are ones I've been wanting to read, not ones I feel I need to get done. If you're reading a book you HAVE to read in order to review or whatever, it just isn't quite as enjoyable, so though some of these are ARCs needing to be reviewed, they're ones I've just been wanting to get to for awhile.

The list includes:

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev
Breathless by Lurlene McDaniel
Escape Under the Forever Sky by Eve Yohalem
Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
Secret Keeper by Mitali Perkins
Dairy Queen by Catherine Murdock
Knit for Love by Beth Pattillo

We'll see, we'll see. I'm sure I can read more than one, but I'll probably stray from that pile, just to be a rebel.

I would love to know your Read-a-thon rituals!! And of course, if you're reading from a charity, fill me in on that too!

4 comments:

Janssen said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend!

CeeCee said...

Gosh, one weekend I'd love to get in on this. I love your routine and the goodies!!! Enjoy yourself.

Crystal said...

Good luck with the challenge - I'm looking forward to starting this evening. I can't decide on a charity yet, but I am sure one will come to me.

MotherReader said...

I think I need to get your neat-freak body to DC to give me a hand. Actually, you'd probably run screaming, so bad idea.

I have changed the books in my pile five times, so now I'm going to wing it. Definitely Secret Keeper, followed by Hunger Games (again) and Catching Fire. After that, who knows.

I'm doing my charity for the Bridget Zinn auction as everything I wanted to bid on exceeded my limit too quickly.